How do you do it? Any ideas?

rabbit fingers

Target indication is about getting people on to something that might be hard to see.

And it uses a vertical clock !

Here’s my post again with a couple of pics I've been sad enough to dig out and some extra explanation:

Step One

Start by agreeing names for obvious features across the area under consideration

eg

'bushy tree'

'post'

'earth scar'

Get pals to look roughly in the correct area by naming the nearest reference point to the object you want them to spot:

Eg "right end of earth scar"

[After stage one, the similarity with a Range card ends!]

Step two

Visualise a clock face hanging vertically with its centre on the reference point.

Determine where the target lies on the clock face. (Couple clock with left/right)

Eg “Reference bottom left corner of ground floor roof"

"go left, eight o’clock"

verticalclock1-clock.jpg

[Digging this pic out has reminded me; for precise stuff be specific about where on the reference point you are starting from; eg “post” is no good; be precise: “top of post” or “bottom of post”]

Step 3

Decide how far left or right of it you want your friends to look.

(Hold your hand up at arms lenths and measure the distance in finger widths, or knuckle peaks, or fist widths)

verticalclock2-hands.jpg

[Don’t worry about the mils on that; just talk in terms of “2 knuckles” “3fingers” “1 fist” ]

Eg " Reference right end of earth scar"

" Right Two Oclock"

" Three Knuckles"

"(and then describe the target!)"

NOTE - measure distance horizontally from the clock centre. Use the clock ray to indicate where to look in relation to that line.

The indication to the farm trough would be “Reference bottom left corner of ground floor roof, go left, eight o’clock, 20 mils, right hand side of farm trough”.

verticalclock1-clock.jpg

Remember: Measure distance horizontally (not along the clock ray) [This becomes critical when doing the same procedure using optics !]

Excellent post Matt, many a time the batteries have been flat and someone has tried to talk me onto a target by saying "see that bush, to the right of the bush..." at which point I had to stop the muppet and ask which bush as I was sat next to them looking at about 70 of the beggers!!!!!

Target indication is a good skill to have and can save a life by reverse engineering it to your location God forbid you ever need it.

Archived