Balistic Turrets - can they be made.

lancslad

Anyone know if you can get Balistic turrets that fit on top of your existing turrets.

Ive got a S&B with just standard turrets but fancy having them changed to BTS for easier dialing in.

Anyone know if you get get "slide over" types or wether S&B can do a factory swap out, or if you can get them custom made

Anyone know if you can get Balistic turrets that fit on top of your existing turrets.

Ive got a S&B with just standard turrets but fancy having them changed to BTS for easier dialing in.

Anyone know if you get get "slide over" types or wether S&B can do a factory swap out, or if you can get them custom made

S&B can fit them at around 100 euro for each one, email S&B.

I have thought about trying to make some on my dads lathe, maybe in the new year i'll get round to it...........

In my experience, the big problem is changing air density.

Typically, permanent ballistic writings are subject to errors. Therefore spend the money for a weather meter and a ballistic calculator. Prepare ballistics tables on site based on G1, Temp, Humidity, even angle of dangle (Tilt of rifle which change gravitational distance cf cos rule.)

Worse than Ballistics knobs are ballistic reticules! At least with knobs, you can change them.

In my experience, the big problem is changing air density.

Typically, permanent ballistic writings are subject to errors. Therefore spend the money for a weather meter and a ballistic calculator. Prepare ballistics tables on site based on G1, Temp, Humidity, even angle of dangle (Tilt of rifle which change gravitational distance cf cos rule.)

Worse than Ballistics knobs are ballistic reticules! At least with knobs, you can change them.

Fundamentally disagree with that.

Ballistic cams are absolutely fine if matched to your system.

The effects of the conditions of the moment (ie the atmosphere on that occasion) are accounted for by a calc such as 0-400 no change; 400-500 add 1 click; 500-570 add 2 clicks and so on. Easily done by those who know their ballistics or have charts built that way. And extremely fast.

Faster than any PDA solution in existence.

Lase. Dial the distance. Add or subtract the correction of the moment. Ready

If you're shooting below about 400yds with anything 308ish (or further with something a bit pokier) you'll almost never see an atmospheric change big enough to require an elevation correction of the moment of even 1 click.

Could also side-track into the bogus notion of gravitational distance. The cos must be applied to the bullet drop or path. It is ballistically bogus to apply it to the range.

Other than that; get a weather meter - yes, all good :)

Cos rule is applied to that value obtained from the laser range finder.

Sorry that's ballistically incorrect. It's simple physics:

Gravity doesn't act according to the distance an object moves horizontally, it acts for the time over which an object undergoes gravitational acceleration.

I'm afraid that anyone talking about "equivalent horizontal distance" or variations thereof is revealing ballistic naivete.

The remainder of your post is non-sequitur to the discussion at hand. I suspect you didn't read beyond the first line in my post.

So.....

Nooooooo! This is utter ballistic hokum :rolleyes:

Cos-formula.jpg

Sorry that's ballistically incorrect. It's simple physics:

Gravity doesn't act according to the distance an object moves horizontally, it acts for the time over which an object undergoes gravitational acceleration.

The fastest and simplest method of compensating for angled shots in the field is to measure the angle and the actual distance to the target. Multiply the dope for the actual distance through the air by the cosine of the angle.

To understand the gory details of why, consult this reference:

Angled Fire Explained

While I have at least 3 ballistic programs running on portable platforms, I've quit using them in favor of a Density Altitude Dope Card

Faster. No batteries. Works anywhere in the world. For utmost accuracy, use with a Kestrel - but a watch with a pressure sensor like the Casio Pathfinder and a cheap thermometer works almost as well. And see the reference on calculating DA without either, by assuming that the air pressure declines as does the ICAO atmosphere and guessing at the temperature, which is not bad, and much better than a SWAG.

The fastest and simplest method of compensating for angled shots in the field is to measure the angle and the actual distance to the target. Multiply the dope for the actual distance through the air by the cosine of the angle.

Lindy: Absolutely.

I guess I should have paid more attention in engineering physics.

DMCI: Yes.

• 3 months later...

Archived