Harris bipod modification

Good day gents,

Want to show you a little modification to my harris bipod to help with it bouncing as the rifle recoils.

I added spikes to the feet so i can push into the rifle and i can say my groups have signifixantly improved and can spot my hits under 300 yards with heavier recoiling rifles as tje rifle moves less.

Be great to hear what you guys think and if you use anything similar or prefer a 'ski' type pod.

Its a bit agricultural looking at the mo but it will be dandy when i get er tidyd up.

http://emob1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc466/Garry84/00e8ed28.jpg?t=1292326936

http://emob1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc466/Garry84/9ad056c0.jpg?t=1292327093

Garry.

Nice idea, but become flawed in dry / frozen ground conditions?

Prefer clawed feet, but in honesty, ive never had an issue with the Harris or any other type of bipod being unstable if its seated (tamped) down a little before shooting.

Biggest help to bipod use is preload - lean into the bipod and also use rear bag, hand under the butt or mono pod.

I mean really push into the rifle so that its pushed hard against youre shoulder.

I struggled with the harris on larger recoiling rifles but now i can say it helped with my shooting technique.

That is the only downside for hard ground or concrete but for most of my shooting its in the clay so it suits me.

I mean really push into the rifle so that its pushed hard against youre shoulder.

I struggled with the harris on larger recoiling rifles but now i can say it helped with my shooting technique.

That is the only downside for hard ground or concrete but for most of my shooting its in the clay so it suits me.

I've just been doing the exact same thing, but have yet to try it, and with Christmas here I probably won't get the chance for a couple of weeks.

I did it because I suddenly realized how much time I was taking fiddling so that the bipod resisted the preload force evenly without twisting, on uneven ground.

I've tried to put it on photobucket:

http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb392/sackot/

Never done that before so it may not work.

If you can see it, you'll see the following:

My version has the disadvantage that the spikes splay rather than push straight down.

I've done it so that it will be possible to select spike or normal foot. I've not yet

made them, but the foot will mount on a threaded sleeve which screws on over the spike.

Sackot

Hi Sackot,

I got youre pic opened up, it looks a good job. When i get a bit more time ill tidy mine up as its just threw together at the mo.

Consistency is the key, you have to make sure the rifle is pointing directly at the target before you get behind the rifle cos if you push into the rifle and twist it to get on target you will throw shots.

Garry.

Hi Sackot,

I got youre pic opened up, it looks a good job. When i get a bit more time ill tidy mine up as its just threw together at the mo.

Consistency is the key, you have to make sure the rifle is pointing directly at the target before you get behind the rifle cos if you push into the rifle and twist it to get on target you will throw shots.

Garry.

I made quite a meal of mine, so you were out having fun shooting while I was in the shop cussing the various springs involved in the bipod...

It was encouraging to hear that yours tightened up the groups, hope it does the same for me. One thing I'd been noticing is that when my crosshairs kick up with recoil, they often return slightly to one side instead of straight back down, so something I'm doing is skewed.

Archived