260 Ackley load testing

Snowz

Went to Minsterly yesterday to meet up with Micky as he was buying a few things off me so we thought we'd meet at Minsterly as it was half way for us and we could test a few of our loads we needed to do. Was the first time i had met Mick and he is a nice fella to meet and have a shoot with

Snow was on the ground and it was cold but not much wind so was good for some testing.

07743694.jpg

I took my new 260AI Chris built and Micky took his 17rem,223 and 17hmr, all nice bits of kit and fancy scopes.

I needed to test the 95gr V max and 140gr Bergers now that i had fire-formed the cases, both loads using Reloader 17 and BR2 primers, none of them are max loads but produced accurate groups.

d3bfbfe4.jpg

e12b5a68.jpg

4ebab594.jpg

both loads are with the bullets seated -10 tho off the lands will try seating a further 5 and 10 back to see if it tightens up anymore but i am happy as they are now anyway.

Off out tomorrow to re test the loads and then to zero on the 95gr V max ready for Saturday nights outing

I know your probably all giddy over getting a new rifle but those groups are shocking for a custom rifle mate,

That's just your opinion

I'm a hunter not benchrest target shooter and I have seen other groups from other more expensive builds better and worse than these,

Who you to say they're poor groups for a custom rifle I could just be a that which promotes growth and vigour shot for all you know!!

That's the first testing of the fireformed brass and I think it was good enough for me to make a hunting load up for now an make further load developing as I go

If you don't like my groups don't look at them

That's just your opinion

I'm a hunter not benchrest target shooter and I have seen other groups from other more expensive builds better and worse than these,

Who you to say they're poor groups for a custom rifle I could just be a that which promotes growth and vigour shot for all you know!!

That's the first testing of the fireformed brass and I think it was good enough for me to make a hunting load up for now an make further load developing as I go

If you don't like my groups don't look at them

what ever :rolleyes:

Try putting the Bergers .005, .010. .015 into the lands.

They work better - (well ive found)that the VLD's groups shrink when seated this way.

As a starting point the groups show the rifles potential, tweaks on seating depth and poweder charge increments in low increments may give you better.

If its a sporter, its certainly will do the job as it stands.

If your looking at BR accuracy - and I suggest its not put together for that purpose, it would need more development.

Well done anyway, its very satisfying to test a new gun and see what its going to do. :)

Try putting the Bergers .005, .010. .015 into the lands.

They work better - (well ive found)that the VLD's groups shrink when seated this way.

As a starting point the groups show the rifles potential, tweaks on seating depth and poweder charge increments in low increments may give you better.

If its a sporter, its certainly will do the job as it stands.

If your looking at BR accuracy - and I suggest its not put together for that purpose, it would need more development.

Well done anyway, its very satisfying to test a new gun and see what its going to do. :)

Cheers,

I have already made up a batch with seating depths going a further .5 & .10 tho in just need to test them when conditions allow.

But for now I have made up the 30 prepped cases I had ready with the 95gr vmax loads to carry on foxing until I can test the seating depths loads

Atb Richard

Well done snowz for a straight up report, poor groups :rolleyes: and all.

Sporting rifles would you have preferred it if he had picked out the best one hole group and sounded off how good he was?

Sporting rifles would you have preferred it if he had picked out the best one hole group and sounded off how good he was?

Yes, Pete, I think you could have been a little more considerate in your thoughts. Not sure they were well intended.

Best to keep stuff inside sometimes.

Please let's draw a line under that, now. :)

Besides, if I'm reading Snowz pics correctly, I believe there are several 0.3MOA groups.

First run out with a new rifle; 0.3MOA, nothing shabby about that. :)

I thought that was the whole point of load developing, working through a batch until you find the best group and then tweak it to improve it more, we don't all have bug onehole groups in load developing.

I'd be happy with 1/2" moa accuracy, afterall the bullet is .264" dia so never gonna be a sub 1/4" moa rifle by time you fire 5 rounds down range.

There were several .3" groups in my fire forming loads and these full power loads so I know the accuracy is there I just have to work on it as I go it's a working tool for me not a rifle just for punching paper at a range off a rest in perfect conditions

Really good report mate,, You are going to really like them 95 b/t on foxes or long range rabbits,,,, Oh what a thump!!!!

What i would say is that, your loads developed on a really cold day,, could be very hot loads in the summer ??? keep an eye on them ??

.3 groups show a lot of promise, and as you have said,, more than good enough for Mr fox??,

I load mine so that the bullet is just touching the rifling ,,i found this is were most of my rifles like,, also if you have to unload for what ever reason, the bullets will not get pulled out resulting in all you powder ending up in you action???, been there done that, Ha ,,, Not the best situation to be in on a cold winters night while out foxing??

Just enjoy that rifle,, and if you need any advice,, just shout!!!!

only glad to help,,,

Darrel ;)

Archived