New Kaps binoculars

Since years I’ve been looking for an alternative for the high end German/Austrian optics. One doesn’t mind spending good money on good products but I don’t like spending only for the names sake. Since a few years I’ve been looking at the products of a small German company that are mainly involved in the manufacture of medical microscopes. Since many years they quietly manufacture very good rifle scopes as a side line business. I visit their exhibition booth every year when I’m at the IWA in Germany. This year Kaps had introduced a new range of binoculars 8x32, 8x42 and 10x42 with multi and phase coated lenses. One good thing about the IWA exhibition is, that most optical exhibitors are in one hall and one can nicely compare products. We could compare the new bino’s to products from Swarovski, Bushnell, Nikon, Minox and Leica . I wanted to order a set of 8x42 Kaps right away but was told that the few binoculars on the stand were only prototypes and that the production was about to start. I recently found out that the Kaps binoculars are on the shelf and I ordered a set in 8x42. This is possibly the best size for stalking in Ireland, 8x32 might be ok for daylight but not as good in low light conditions, 10x42 might be a bit wobbly if used single handed. In the meantime I have handed around the binoculars to experienced stalkers and received very positive response.

We compared Kaps 8x42 to Leica Ultravid 7x42, Vortex Razor 8x42, Swarovski SLC’s 7x50. The Japanese Vortex Razor which Retail at around 600 Euro are very easy to handle but are not quite as bright as the European glass. The lightest and smallest of the four sets are the Kaps weighing 650 grams. Field of view is very good at 126m or 7.2 deg angle.

It is very difficult to judge high end optics and for myself, all of these four sets have a wow effect when one looks through. Without knowing prices I would choose between the Leica’s and the Kaps because these win on best performance vs weight and size. Looking at prices.... the Kaps 8x42 costs only a fraction of the Leica’s. Retail prices of Kaps Binoculars are hopefully not only introduction prices. Retail prices are roughly 409,- Euro for the 8x32, 429,- Euro for the 8x42 and 449,- for the 10x42.

Left to right: Kaps 8x42, Leica Ultravid 7x42, Vortex Razor 8x42, Swarovski 7x50 SLC ( eye cups fully extended on all sets)

DSCN5156.jpg

DSCN5157.jpg

DSCN5182.jpg

edi

Edi,

these do look good. Do you have a website for them? Might be worth the chance of snapping off a pair before they catch up with the rest of the european manufacturers,

take care

Finman

Edi,

these do look good. Do you have a website for them? Might be worth the chance of snapping off a pair before they catch up with the rest of the european manufacturers,

take care

Finman

Try,

www.kaps-optik.de

info@kaps-optik.de

They also have a webshop.

edi

Try,

www.kaps-optik.de

info@kaps-optik.de

They also have a webshop.

edi

hi i have a scope made by karl caps 2.5 *10*56 and its just as good a quality as any other germany / european piece of glass and its abit of age so the new stuff should be good if its owt like my scope

hi i have a scope made by karl caps 2.5 *10*56 and its just as good a quality as any other germany / european piece of glass and its abit of age so the new stuff should be good if its owt like my scope

Swatty, welcome to UKV

I also bought a 2.5-10x50 illuminated scope when ordered the bino's.

The scope is absolutely stunning at low light. I have S&B and Zeiss on the

other rifles.

Nice fine recticule with a red dot.

Shot 5 deer with it in the last 3 weeks. Between 20yds and 202m.

They are simple good robust high quality hunting scopes.

edi

Swatty, welcome to UKV

I also bought a 2.5-10x50 illuminated scope when ordered the bino's.

The scope is absolutely stunning at low light. I have S&B and Zeiss on the

other rifles.

Nice fine recticule with a red dot.

Shot 5 deer with it in the last 3 weeks. Between 20yds and 202m.

They are simple good robust high quality hunting scopes.

edi

They certainly look good. Do you know if there is any warranty with them? My main concern is that they are not as robust as some of the more expensive ones. Also do you know if there are plans for a UK distributor?

They certainly look good. Do you know if there is any warranty with them? My main concern is that they are not as robust as some of the more expensive ones. Also do you know if there are plans for a UK distributor?

In the meantime I asked the guarantee question.

Binoculars 2 years and scopes 25 years.

Didn't get a explanation why.

The bino's are only on the market since about 1/2 year. Kaps

is a mid sized family run company, maybe they are not sure if the

bino's are going to be a runner and are observing sales for now.

Today I was out stalking again and can only say how delighted I am with

the bino's and the scope. Glassed a sika down the valley, stalked in

to about 150yds and the 243 did the rest.

The 2.5-10x50 illuminated is a no frills hunting scope.

DSCN5121.jpg

The left Turret is to switch on the illumination. The turret can be turned

forward or backward and return to mid it self. Turn back and the illumination

switches on to the same intensity as the last time used.

Hold the turret back and the light gets brighter. Turn forward over

the mid setting and the dot gets dimmer. Turn the turret forward to the end

position and the illumination switches off. It also turns off automatically

after 6hrs and saves the battery.

DSCN5198.jpg

I don't know who distributes Kaps in the UK. Certainly I can pass on info

or import some bits.

edi

Archived