6.5x47 - running speeds

LONG RANGE CAPT

Hello,

I'm presently running my new 6.5x47 Accuracy International with 38.5 gr of Reloader 15 and using 450 primers and 123gr Lapua Senar bullets seated to 2.736 COL

From yesterdays chronoing my average fps was 2909fps with group sizes at sub 0.5 MOA.

I'm still in the testing stages and would appreciate anyones thoughts on their experiences getting the maximum out of their rounds.

Kind Regards

Rob

3080 Varget 39g 123g Scenar

HOT Load and small firing pin required

38grs of ADI-2208 (Varget) gives 2945 av vel with 123 Scenars.

38.6 showed no pressure but didn't shoot as well.

The Barnard with its smaller diam firing pin can easily take it but I figured there's no point wearing out the barrel faster when I'm getting 'acceptable" vels with the 38gr load

Chris-NZ

38.0 RL15 123 Amax 10 thou off,2900 in 27 kreiger.Fed GM primers.Have not gone above this load no need I seem to have a huge window/node with this rifle covering 37 through to 38 with tiny groups at 100 and regular .5.6 ish at 200 good enough for me,I cant hold it any steadier!!!

Thought I would add this pic of one of my fired cases to show primer condition @38 RL15.I am still on the first lot of cases for this rifle which is a tight necked.Hardly any case stretch,fired 7 times and is still easy to chamber.I use Redding dies and have barely detectable runout 1/2/10ths if that and nil on the case neck.I guess this my way of getting the maximum out of this cal.RL15 is dirty though!!cheers Onehole.

IMG_1366.jpg

Rob as you know 38.6 is the load that i have used in a lot of comps at the diggle and at Glens on the steel plates!!!

This load is actually running at 2898 fps .. very accurate,,,,,, sd 1 es3 believe it or not??? Got the print out to prove!!!!!

The loads were run over a oeler chrono ,, these are supposed to be one of the best????

Now 38.6 of varget gave a SD of 11 and an ES of 27 at 2914 fps??? now on testing this load it gave one of the best groups that my rifle as ever shot it was just one hole,,, Now the best thing about Varget is that it is not as sensitive from lot to lot variations ???, A big plus in its faver!!!!

reloader 15 does vary a lot from batch to batch??? so remember this,,,,

The last time we were at Glens, the new batch that i had reloaded at 38.6 gave a reading of 2990 fps and it was very hard on my cases???,, not the best situation to be in??

I would rather have a powder that is more consistant from batch to batch and not knock the shite out of cases that cost over 100 pounds per 100,,, And Varget is cheaper and easyer to get hold of,,,,

Right so lets go a bit further and give you some real pro,s and con,s to think about???

Reloading????

Wilson hand held neck dies or normal fulllenth sizing dies ???

I an currently using wilson hand held neck sizing dies, but i am finding that the 6.5x47 is hard on cases and that they might be better if they are reloaded with a fullenth die set up????

Got to go as tea is on the table???? GIVE ME YOUR VIEWS PLEASE

Darrel

Archived