Don't keep them as the local travelling population have a fondness for such things. However, one day I will as I have a great liking for gamefowl. That one in the photo is an Aseel yes?

Theres a chap I got to know who kept Madras Aseels and actually exported them back to India. Some of his largest stags went over the 25lb mark. I'd have dearly loved to see that chasing a cat round the garden! Not keen on the Ko Shamos as they look a bit prehistoric.

:D

In my days in hunt service, the lad who i whipped in to was a very keen game fowl man. he,s now at the golden valley, and i,m certain some of you reprobates on here would know Will. ;)

Anyway, the last trio of Shamo,s he kept put paid to the menagerie of "fancy chickens" at the pennine. :D

The cockbod was Satan himself....you couldn,t feed the ###### without getting "heeled". The final straw was his litle girl getting chased.

Beautiful birds though.

we used to go down to the horse fair in Holmfirth every saturday morning, and swap/buy birds with the local Gypsies...we never once got ripped off, or sold rubbish by them either....they were real gypsies, and great people.

Hmm why did I think Baldie would chime in on this one.... :lol:

I was taught to catch chickens (and other things) at night by some gypsies. Got very good at it which was a good thing as the next door property had been left derelict with literally hundreds of banties left to breed unchecked. I thinned the really old cock birds out with the 12gauge selector, ate a few and sent over a hundred to a friend with a big run. They made excellent broodies.

I've known real gypsies and have not a seconds problem with them. However, we tend to be afflicted by unsavoury characters who are definitely not true gypsies and things walk.....

Anyhow, I reckon my faves (although not fighting game) are Indian game (for their bulldog looks, also related to Aseels) and Sumatran Game. The Sumatrans are the colour of the irridescent green/black feathers of a mallard but all over. They have a black eye and a truly superb tail. They look menacing but are pretty docile.

Knew an old fella in Suffolk who kept these and several other sorts plus many wildfowl. The Sumatras were his favourite and became mine too.

Regards

G

Good stuff G.

I,ve never been unfortunatly, but i believe there is a huge game cock show at Chelford in Cheshire every year ? One or two of the local "fanciers" seem to frequent the place on a regular basis.

off topic, but don't know how else to do it, other than open a new topic...Zaitsev EMPTY YOUR INBOX!

bugger...Now it says 'cocks' and Finman... in the board index!

Archived