How short should I cut my .243 barrel?

njc110381

I want to knock some length off of my .243. It's mainly a Foxing gun and at the moment I think it has a 25" barrel. How much can I cut it down and remain Deer legal? I home load so can adjust my rounds accordingly. I don't want it stupidly short, just a bit easier to handle in the truck. Would 18" be too short? Maybe 20"? I'll never use heavy bullets in it if that makes a difference? 85grn max I'd say.

I've beat you it on that thought but thanks for mentioning it. That would be a Homer Simpson moment wouldn't it?! I'm using a Wildcat P8 and cutting to 18" still gives an inch to the tip of the stock.

So 20" would be a safe bet then? Since asking I've found a site that gives some rough figures quoted by two different reputable companies which say that for calibres in the .243 area 35fps per inch would be the expected loss? So cutting back to 18" would lose me 175fps (barrel is actually 23"). I wonder how accurate that info is? I found it on the Chuck Hawkes site and Remington were one of the companies quoting the info.

I'm tempted to push back to 19" to meet a half way house between what I want and what is sensible! What do you recon?

• 2 weeks later...

My .243 sako 75 is cut to 20" and its fine though have never chronoed it, never reached out much over 200yds though I shoot mainly deer, doesn't drop much to there even with 100grain. What ever you do you'll remain legal in England. Starts to get slightly border line in Scotland but if you home load you'll have no prob.

I tell you what is food for thought , RPA who know a thing or two about rifles are making a woodland stalking .243 with 18" or it might even be 16" barrel as standard.

I shortened a customers .243 this week to 20", but not before i ran the figures. It will still keep a 100 grain bullet deer legal...by over 100 ft/lbs.

Be careful using lighter bullets and shorter barrels.

My .243 sako 75 is cut to 20" and its fine though have never chronoed it, never reached out much over 200yds though I shoot mainly deer, doesn't drop much to there even with 100grain. What ever you do you'll remain legal in England. Starts to get slightly border line in Scotland but if you home load you'll have no prob.

I tell you what is food for thought , RPA who know a thing or two about rifles are making a woodland stalking .243 with 18" or it might even be 16" barrel as standard.

I very much doubt that RPA .243 @ 16" is 'deer legal'. I would guess the limit on .243 would be ~18".

Archived