tikka 695 6.5x55 bullet tips

wabbiter

Hi all, could any of you kind peoples give me any advise on what weight of bullet would run well in my Tikka 695 Master all weather 6.5x55, it has a standard factory barrel. I would like it to be multi purpose, vermin and deer, but my budget is limited and i would like to start off with an idea of what tips i could load instead of buying something unsuitable.Thanks in advance for any thoughts you could throw my way.

Hi all, could any of you kind peoples give me any advise on what weight of bullet would run well in my Tikka 695 Master all weather 6.5x55, it has a standard factory barrel. I would like it to be multi purpose, vermin and deer, but my budget is limited and i would like to start off with an idea of what tips i could load instead of buying something unsuitable.Thanks in advance for any thoughts you could throw my way.

hi wabbiter,

for a bullet that 'does all' in the 6.5x55 a lot of people turn to the 95gn VMax. If I am not mistaken, your rifle has a 1:8' twist, which is good for stabilising all bullets in the 6.5mm range. In mine I use 120gn Sierra PH and 129gn Hornady Interlocks, hence covering deer-legal shooting on both sides of the border.

a bit off-topic: have you got vermin in your ticket conditions for this calibre?

best wishes,

Finman

I have deer/fox on my license but i also have written in that i may have expanding ammo etc in the calibres authorised by this cert(6.5x55, 22lr, 17hmr) etc etc for 1. shooting deer. 2. the shooting of vermin or, in the course of carrying on activities in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife. 3. the humane killing of animals. 4. the shooting of animals for the protection of other animals or humans.... I tried to get fox on my 22lr but they said no chance but gave me it for 17hmr.

Cheers Finman for your input. will check out my local dealers and see what they have to offer.

We have used Norma loaded with 120 Gn BT's for the Tikka 696 6.5x55 Estate Rifle for years. They are consistently accurate and effective on roe, mutjac and fallow.

Worth a try as not all rifles digest things the same way.

Best of luck with it.

ATB

Peter

For Fox and Deer use I don't think you can beat the Nosler BT. It's quick enough to open on Foxes and doesn't make too much mess of Deer. I can think of better Deer bullets but then they'll not be so good on Foxes - A compromise is never perfect for anything. If you shoot mainly Foxes then the 100grn works well, mainly Deer and the 120 is better.

Just my opinion of course.

Archived