Muzzle Brake made and installed by Rusell GALL

Some calibre,s are just not shootable Tony, without one. I have a .338 which is a big , heavy gun. Its like shooting a .308, recoil wise with the brake on. With it off, 5 rounds, and you do not want to shoot it anymore....its thoroughly unpleasant. I,m not recoil shy in the slightest, but some calibres have to be braked to make them usable.

That said, i have brakes on my 6mmBr, and 223 speedmaster, also the AR grendel. They are on those to get the muzzle back down quickly as i use them in practical rifle. I also have a vais type brake on my .22lr buckmark pistol. Thats there to do the same thing, and has turned an "also ran " gun, into a regular gold medal winner at Bisley.

The only range i have found restrictions on brakes is Bisley, which is not surprising coming from the NRA [and i,m a member ] Other ranges such as Diggle dont mind them, if one shows a bit of consideration for others. What i tend to do when shooting the .338 is tell the RO [usually Vince ]and ask to be put further away, bench wise from everyone else, or i wait and shoot last on a benchrest match. On the grass podiums, i put my AIM bag at the side of me, and shield the other shooter. No one has ever complained.

As with many situations in life, a bit of live and let live usually works.

Thanks Dave, your reply makes additional sense to what Ian wrote. I don't use heavy calibres - biggest I ever owned was .303 which I dare say is a pussycat compared with .338. Your explanation about using the range and being considerate of other shooters is very fair: IME not every user of a 'braked rifle is so considerate...

That "Vais" 'brake on your Buckmark carbine (well, short rifle) I recall from your recent post about it: it's not too obtrusive and complements the rifle, very attractive. And on a rimfire it's not going to cause uncomfortable blast effects.

Regards, Tony

The buckmark short rifle has a benny cooley type brake on it Tony. these are louder than a vais, but more efficient. That gun is usually shot on melville at Bisley, and the other shooters are sufficiently far away not to be troubled by it. My buckmark pistol has the true vais type on it. It also acts as a muzzle weight.The thing that bugs me more [and others ] at Bisley, is hot .22 brass down the neck from your neighbour. I actually got burnt at the nationals this way. That DOES put you off. :lol:

OK Ian, that makes sense, thanks for the explanation. I still don't like them, but I understand your reason for using them at the range. I too don't like mods either, except for subsonics on a .22, since I think they look ugly and spoil the lines of an otherwise good looking rifle. But I understand why some shooters need them when hunting close to houses.

You mean, that signature image is a night-time shot of the 'braked muzzle flash from your rifle? I thought it was a nuclear blast...

Regards, Tony

Tony,

I am of the opinion that rifles firing 22 subs have to be moderated in order to be effective against small mammals etc.....

Being sub-sonic Mr rabbit is going to have time to react to the sound of the shot even if it is only a fraction of a second before bullet impact.

My avatar is meant to depict incinerated vermin in the middle of a field but it is in fact a giant bonfire and what looks like blades of grass are actually people. :)

Ian.

Tony,

I am of the opinion that rifles firing 22 subs have to be moderated in order to be effective against small mammals etc.....

Being sub-sonic Mr rabbit is going to have time to react to the sound of the shot even if it is only a fraction of a second before bullet impact.

My avatar is meant to depict incinerated vermin in the middle of a field but it is in fact a giant bonfire and what looks like blades of grass are actually people. :)

Ian.

Rabbits catch on pretty fast to whats going on when you are stalking into a quantity of them with a rimmy, once they have heard the bullets impact the rest vanish after a couple of evenings. One other interesting point, are you saying that with a brake on your 22.250AI you see the impacts with a brake fitted?, I appreciate that they do cut the recoil markedly but have stood close to that same 22.250AI when you touch it off the ground shakes with the brake installed!!. You do not though appreciate that when shooting it. I also don't like having to carry a rifle with a moderator as it is unbalanced, as a rule I like mods as they allow impact's to be seen.

A

Archived