585y and 750y

Guest richness

Guest richness

Hi guys :D Fairly new to posting here but have been on various other forums over the years. This seems to be the place for long-distance vermin bashing so here i am :)

Thought i'd start with my 585y rabbit,whilst up in Scotland with Dan (nightforce).

Basically, i'd been stuck on 415y for ages as most of my shots are taken sub 350y but on my trip to Scotland to see my mate, we had fairly fine weather and were able to reack out a bit. I got past 450, 500, 550 and 575 all in one afternoon :) The wind was fairly constant at 7mph so we dialled that out. Then we started getting out drops noted down for 500 etc and I ended up with a rabbit popping out at 585y.

I was shooting my 204Ruger. 1/10 Archer 23". Howa action, Timney. Hogue stock . IOR 4-28x56. 39gr SBK/BR4/NosCust/RL15 28.1gr 1.890" to the ogive

Then recently with my other shooting mate Si, whilst up on the A66 in fairly light winds (for a change) I spotted a rabbit by some heather at 750y. I had clicks noted down and dialled it but as i went to shoot, the 2.5moa wind that we had had all day suddenly dropped and i saw the heat haze gently drifting down the hill in the opposite direction. So i aimed off a shade and sent it. One dead rabbit and us hopping up and down like loonies :)

That rifle was my 243. R700 printed/Bartlein 1/8 5R 27"/RB BR trigger/HS precision stock/ 105gr Amax/43.7gr RL19, LApua/Fed210M. IOR 9-36x56

Both rifles built by Dave Wylde by the way :)

This summer I'm hoping to stretch my 204R past 600y and beat 800y with the 243. All good fun :)

Oh, and get that bloody fly at Diggle (i missed all around it last time :(

well done rich thats good shooting mate:-)

im stuck on 630 @ the mo but was stuck on 505 for nigh on 2 years:-o

must have had 6 or mo @ 500 plus now & it seems a lot easyer now im using brown dogs charts!

hopefull extend it further on tuesday as the wind look low for a change!

had a couple @ 400ish yesterday but nothing special!

was a bugger tho as the sun was setting @ i struggled to see anything tru the scope or the camera!

altho the one u can see on the vid has a nice shiney bullet zooming down range onto the bunny wich ive never seen before!

cheers Andy

Guest richness

Thanks guys :D

Si and i are going to try to video some of our shots next time - we'll keep you posted!

We're having great weather up here in Cumbria and now is certainly the best time to be pushing things. Mind you, the stillest day Si'd seen up on those fells was in January!

There's certainly a lot more LIGHT this time of year, anyway :)

Guest richness
Nice going Rich. :D

We, ll be seeing you at the fly this year then ?

yes mate and i won't forget my rest and ear plugs this time :D

when is it this year?

Guest richness

Wicked - it's down in my diary now. It'll be a lot easier this year to see my strikes with the IOR. Should be another fun day - see you there mate :)

Hi guys :) Fairly new to posting here but have been on various other forums over the years. This seems to be the place for long-distance vermin bashing so here i am :)

Thought i'd start with my 585y rabbit,whilst up in Scotland with Dan (nightforce).

Basically, i'd been stuck on 415y for ages as most of my shots are taken sub 350y but on my trip to Scotland to see my mate, we had fairly fine weather and were able to reack out a bit. I got past 450, 500, 550 and 575 all in one afternoon :) The wind was fairly constant at 7mph so we dialled that out. Then we started getting out drops noted down for 500 etc and I ended up with a rabbit popping out at 585y.

I was shooting my 204Ruger. 1/10 Archer 23". Howa action, Timney. Hogue stock . IOR 4-28x56. 39gr SBK/BR4/NosCust/RL15 28.1gr 1.890" to the ogive

Then recently with my other shooting mate Si, whilst up on the A66 in fairly light winds (for a change) I spotted a rabbit by some heather at 750y. I had clicks noted down and dialled it but as i went to shoot, the 2.5moa wind that we had had all day suddenly dropped and i saw the heat haze gently drifting down the hill in the opposite direction. So i aimed off a shade and sent it. One dead rabbit and us hopping up and down like loonies :)

That rifle was my 243. R700 printed/Bartlein 1/8 5R 27"/RB BR trigger/HS precision stock/ 105gr Amax/43.7gr RL19, LApua/Fed210M. IOR 9-36x56

Both rifles built by Dave Wylde by the way :)

This summer I'm hoping to stretch my 204R past 600y and beat 800y with the 243. All good fun :)

Oh, and get that bloody fly at Diggle (i missed all around it last time :(

Hi & well come to the site how do you rate those IOR optics iv been looking at them for a bit now as a cheaper option of scope with BDC turrets etc as all the big names are 2k + now. How would you rate them in low light dusk/don as i do alot at these times.

hi and welcome

thats sounds like some shooting!!!

ill maybe get to near that range some day..

i too would love to know exactly what you think of the IOR range for the same reasons as v-max

cheaper option to some of the big names,?

and i hear that they are now far better than when first came out...is it true that its zeiss glass?

sauer

Then recently with my other shooting mate Si, whilst up on the A66 in fairly light winds (for a change) I spotted a rabbit by some heather at 750y. I had clicks noted down and dialled it but as i went to shoot, the 2.5moa wind that we had had all day suddenly dropped and i saw the heat haze gently drifting down the hill in the opposite direction. So i aimed off a shade and sent it. One dead rabbit and us hopping up and down like loonies :lol:

I remember the shot well - it will be impossible to forget. :D It was a hard rabbit to see and was just visible behind a clump of heather. When it rolled I was so impressed. B)

Great shooting and I was glad to be there to witness it! :)

Si

Guest richness
hi baldie

whats the fly

cheers Matt

It's the annual 500y Fly Shoot at Diggle Ranges mate

check out diggleranges.com

It is an informal competition at 500y targets. 3x5shots. The catch is that there's a SMALL fly printed on the bull, maybe an inch across. You hit the fly and you get a Diggle Fly cloth patch for your jacket. You have one of them and people know you can shoot.... <_<

Guest richness
Hi & well come to the site how do you rate those IOR optics iv been looking at them for a bit now as a cheaper option of scope with BDC turrets etc as all the big names are 2k + now. How would you rate them in low light dusk/don as i do alot at these times.

The 9-36x56 is the best high-mag scope in the world

But the 6-24 have a lot more competition as zeiss and swaro make sublime scopes in that mag range, unlike the high-mag range of the scope above where there are only a handful of options.

Optically, build, turret-wise, they're very top class. Finsih is poor and lacking in bling and sophistication. Eg they come in plain cardboard boxes with a photocopied manual in poor english...imagine a Nightforce, Leupold , etc coming like that!!! So their marketing dept is in a different century but by god their optics and turrets are sublime.

Bottom-line, optically, the 9-36 is better than the BRand NXS 4-12

the 6-24 is on a par with top euro glass such as Swaro and Zeiss vistory BUT has the best ret in the business, is much cheaper, has wonderful turrets.....at the mo they are bargain material all day long.

For a sweet, sophisticated, light 6-24 or 4-16, i'd prob look for a second hand Victory, but new there's no competition VFM-wise and as i say, at 9-36 mag, they're untouchable

Guest richness

specifically at dusk/dawn, they are particularly good becasue they have top-notch resolutio nand VERY flat neutral coatings. I find this helps in poor light. Swaro, for example, looks more contrasty in the day but i do like a neutral image myself when it come s to low light.....Bottom line, they're right up with the world's best (i have compared extensively!)

• 5 months later...
Guest richness

I got out to 962y today :D

I had the R700 (that was formerly my 243 with 1/8 bartlein on) rebarreled to 6.5x47 by Steve Kershaw. Trueflite Ultramatch 1/8 29" F-class contour.

I recently spent some time developing a load with 123gr Scenars, which settled at 37.6gr RL15 2.171" to the ogive (7thou in) Lapua brass, 450 mag primers. Forster FL die. This did 0.9" @ 400y

Having had a few 5 and 600y kills, I have been starting to really enjoy the consistency of the round and was able today to make some longer shots past 700y, where I still felt the bullet was doing what I told it. Winds weren't too bad, and nice and steady at 11mph from 3 o'clock.

Long story short, my mate Dan spotted and pinged the 962y rabbit, I dialled the wind out and sent it, to be rewarded with a thump and the sight of the rabbit flopping over dead :D

Obviously I'm pleased with the long shot but much more pleased at the way that during the day's other long range shooting, the bullet was dead consistent and reliable in the wind and did exactly what i told it to!

I look forward to finishing my drop charts and having a great year of varminting in 2011. Thanks again to Steve Kershaw for a very precise rebarrelling job.

Happy Christmas to all, Richard Utting :)

I got out to 962y today :D

I had the R700 (that was formerly my 243 with 1/8 bartlein on) rebarreled to 6.5x47 by Steve Kershaw. Trueflite Ultramatch 1/8 29" F-class contour.

I recently spent some time developing a load with 123gr Scenars, which settled at 37.6gr RL15 2.171" to the ogive (7thou in) Lapua brass, 450 mag primers. Forster FL die. This did 0.9" @ 400y

Having had a few 5 and 600y kills, I have been starting to really enjoy the consistency of the round and was able today to make some longer shots past 700y, where I still felt the bullet was doing what I told it. Winds weren't too bad, and nice and steady at 11mph from 3 o'clock.

Long story short, my mate Dan spotted and pinged the 962y rabbit, I dialled the wind out and sent it, to be rewarded with a thump and the sight of the rabbit flopping over dead :D

Obviously I'm pleased with the long shot but much more pleased at the way that during the day's other long range shooting, the bullet was dead consistent and reliable in the wind and did exactly what i told it to!

I look forward to finishing my drop charts and having a great year of varminting in 2011. Thanks again to Steve Kershaw for a very precise rebarrelling job.

Happy Christmas to all, Richard Utting :)

I just wish I was there today to spectate for that shot mate! Simply awesome shooting and a well developed load. You deserve the rewards. ;)

ATB,

Si

Hi Rich, nothin wrong with those results, thats quite a stretch with the 6.5 lapua.

I have one myself and have just finished setting it up, i use 123 scenar rem 7 1/2 br primers and 38.3gr re15 at 2900 fps.

What kind of velocity are you getting with the 37.6 load? How do the scenars work on the rabbits? Havent shot anything with mine apart from paper and steel.

Garry.

Guest richness

Hi Rich, nothin wrong with those results, thats quite a stretch with the 6.5 lapua.

I have one myself and have just finished setting it up, i use 123 scenar rem 7 1/2 br primers and 38.3gr re15 at 2900 fps.

What kind of velocity are you getting with the 37.6 load? How do the scenars work on the rabbits? Havent shot anything with mine apart from paper and steel.

Garry.

Morning Garry :) I'm getting 2955fps with the 37.6gr mate (29" barrel with canted lands) ES is 20. I needed mag primers to get rid of flyers. That may have given me 35fps+.

The Scenars don't explode like say 105gr 6mm Amax but they have a large meplat and do not drill ime. If you hit a rabbit in the front half, it just falls over dead, which is enough. Hit it in the chest or connect with a bone and it'll be a handbag. I'm certainly happy using them on live targets without wounding, which I'm pleased about as they are so accurate. I've probably shot about 25rabbits with it now and haven't had anything untoward happen. Warmest regards, Richard :)

Guest richness

I just wish I was there today to spectate for that shot mate! Simply awesome shooting and a well developed load. You deserve the rewards. ;)

ATB,

Si

Thanks matey. I feel rotten that it was on your shoot and you weren't there to see it bud but there will be plenty of other good times on the hill this year - i'm sure of it :)

I'm just looking into a 30moa rail...

Good luck with the load development; see you on 29th :)

Rich

Hi rich

good job mate thats awsome shooting mate:-)

I see a 1k bunny in your near future :)

I was out fine tuning the 6br yesterday tried only fired to groups as was messing with a new (well old )parkerhale for a mate

!

the worse group of the 2 was i the .1s :wub:

altho the PH mathed it lol

great job

cheers Andy

Archived