Sako fitted with Howa AICS mag system

Since years I've been anoyed about the bad feeding of my old Sako L579/308. This rifle has been in our family since the seventies otherwise I would have possibly tossed it in the bin when I fired it the first time...hopeless. Roedale Precision fitted a Lothar Walther Match barrel and precision is now excellent but the feeding issue needing attending. The old Sako actions are very similar to Howa 1500 and I fitted an ultra light carbon fibre stock that I made. Pete Lincoln from Roedale suggested to look at the Howa mag systems he makes and sent me one to try.

The front screw seemed to be fine and general position of the mag looked good but the action was jsut too narrow and the mag couldn't get far enough up. File grind and dremel time.

DSCN5647.jpg

DSCN5661.jpg

Mag position was sorted but I needed to sort the rear fastening. I fixed a 2.5mm strong steel plate lower than the original rear action screw into place so that the bottom metal fitted above it and the rear action screw. Then I inserted a 10mm steel bar sideways into the grip area with a cross drilled m6 thread. This was also set in place with reinforced epoxy. I had no worries with weakening the stock as I made it myself and know where how much carbon and kevlar is present.

DSCN5669.jpg

I then resprayed the stock with a Magpul flat dark earth colour and put it together. First the rear action screw has to be tightened, then the bottom metal put in place and tightened via front action screw and rear m6.

DSCN5710.jpg

voila, rifle feeds perfect from an out of the box AICS 308 magazin. It was worth the trouble.

DSCN5717.jpg

DSCN5716.jpg

DSCN5724.jpg

DSCN5728.jpg

edi

Sounds like a bit of mucking round Edi but I too can't live with a mis-feeding hunting rifle.

What is the capacity of that mag?

Chris-NZ

Was a bit awkward to fit but the rifle is now transformed.

The remmy I have in 243 was almost as bad at feeding and the mag system

put manners on her too.

5 shot mag on there now. 10 shot also available....if I visit NZ

There was talk about a 3 shot mag but I never saw one.

edi

I have never heard of any other L579/AII type Sako which wouldn't feed perfectly in the state in which it left the factory. The ones I've had over the years (about 8 or 9 of them) in 22/250, .308, .243AI, .20-250 and .243 have all fed perfectly, as did a .220 Swift I used to use.

I think you've been very unlucky. Can't be that I've had good luck, as I've never had any!

I have never heard of any other L579/AII type Sako which wouldn't feed perfectly in the state in which it left the factory. The ones I've had over the years (about 8 or 9 of them) in 22/250, .308, .243AI, .20-250 and .243 have all fed perfectly, as did a .220 Swift I used to use.

I think you've been very unlucky. Can't be that I've had good luck, as I've never had any!

All I can say is that the Sako we ended up with had not been tinkered with except that she had fired quite a few rounds

prior to us. The L579 had not a single point which would make you think it is in any way a better rifle than say a

remmy or howa. The damn thing wouldn't hit an a4 sheet of paper when the barrel was clean...at 50yds. She had

a reputation for wounding animals (belonged to a PH in Africa). We could get 30mm groups out of her once she was roasting

hot and after the barrel was heavily fouled, cold bore shot was always out. When my Father now visits he is

gobsmacked by the accuracy of his old rifle with the LW barrel. He shot several 1/2" groups with her.

If I would by another old Sako now, I would not even fire it, barrel into the bin straight away. Waste of time.

Generally I think short cartridges coming up double stack can be problematic. Had a howa that fed fine, but my remmy

didn't. Handled a couple sako 75 long actions that fed absolutely perfectly.

My hunting rifles must function 100% not 99%, that's why I changed it. Pete Lincoln from Roedale advised to use

an AICS mag as it has the central feed which would be better because the L579 has such a small bolt diameter.

edi

Archived