6mmbr Loads

6mmBR

The 6mmbr is becoming an ever more popular cartridge with target shooters and varminters alike.

Here are some of my pet loads which have proved very accurate in my rifle and also others.

Hopefully they will give people new to the caliber a good starting point.

These loads work best in a 1 in 8 twist barrel.

My current barrel is a 28" Krieger 8 twist.

For varminting my best results have come using Hornady's 87gn Vmax.

Bullets lighter than this are hard to get near the lands due to the 8 twist barrel being throated long for 105 grain bullets.

I have tried them but they were not as accurate as the 87 gn bullets.

The powder I found works very well is Vithavouri N135

My first loading which has worked very well in my old 24" Walther barrel and also a few friends 6BR's is as follows.

30gns Vit N135, Fed gold match primer, 87 V max seated 10 thou off the lands.

This gave me 2900 fps out of the old 24" barrel. Out of Andy's 27" barrel the same load gave 3000fps.

My current barrel which is a 28" Krieger seems to prefer 31.2gns N135 giving 3130 fps with superb accuray.

This barrel also shot the 30 grain load superbly giving 3000 fps but the extra 120 fps with the same accuracy was very desirable for long range bunny busting.

Target loads are another question.

The 6mmbr being one of the best target cartridge available.

I've tried most of the 105 range of bullets, having great results with Berger VLD's and Amax. I did try Sierra's 107 BTHPM but the others were just simply superior.

I've found the 105 A max has a great overlap as a long range varmint bullet.

Personally after a lot of testing the 105 Berger VLD came to the top of the pile.

These bullets in my rifle liked to be seated 10 thou into the lands. The 105 A max can be substituted in these loads but prefered to be seated 10 thou off the lands.

I've found with target loads high velocity is not always the way to go a load which produces low variations in velocity is more desirable.

This low variation will produce less vertical variation in bullet placement as the range increases.

This only leads to one variable, the wind!

Current powders I've found good with this weight of bullet are as follows.

N150, N540, Reloader 15 and Varget.

The primer I have found which gives the best consisteny is the CCI 450 magnum, these really seem to work with the small flash hole.

Others have found the benefit of these primers getting more consistency with the 6.5x47 Lapua again having the smaller flash hole, they just seem to work.

My primary loads areas follows

29.5gn N150 CCI 450 primer 105 Berger.

This load gives single figure ES/SD giving a velocity of around 2700 fps.

This load I would pick every time for shooting at 300 yards, beyond this I prefer my load with 30grains of N540 which gives another 150 fps and at 500/600 yards has a slight edge in the wind.

Other charges which work are around 30 grains of Varget or 30 grains of Reloader 15.

Please work up to these loadings as they are safe in my gun but may not be in yours.

This following link I have found invaluable for info.

http://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html

Enjoy your 6mmBR, I love mine

Cheers

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Best loads on mine:

31.8gn Varget,

Fed205M

87gn (VMax, SP, BTHP)

1.740' COAL (30 thou off)

All shoot at the same point, do 3000fps out of a 23 inch barrel and group less than .2' all day. Good (and legal in England) deer loads

33gn Viht N135

Rem 7.5

65gn Vmax

1.770' COAL (10 thou off)

Excellent varminting round, cleans rabbits, crows and foxes at any (sensible) range. Does 3400fps (which is, curiously, also deer legal!) in my gun.

best wishes,

Finman

105 Amax, which i have found to be a superb bullet over 30.1gr of vit N140 with a CCI BR primer and seat the bullet 10 thou off the lands

MV is about 2950 and is a .2 shooter all day long!

Shrek

That's decent MV, what barrel length are you running?

I'm only getting 2700 from my 24" barrel with Varget and i'd like to increase for lon range plinking.... Was going to play with RL17 but have plenty of N140.

TC

• 1 year later...

nice shooting dave!

didnt think used a br these days!!

whts the mv on that load out of intrest?

cheers Andy

Hi Andy, yes still use the BR mainly for varminting with 87 Vmax.

I'm thinking of using it for 300 yard F class matches as it is stupidly accurate.

I'm not sure of the velocity as have not put it over the chrono yet but would expect 2850+ with 30 grains of varget and a 28" barrel.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Andy, yes still use the BR mainly for varminting with 87 Vmax.

I'm thinking of using it for 300 yard F class matches as it is stupidly accurate.

I'm not sure of the velocity as have not put it over the chrono yet but would expect 2850+ with 30 grains of varget and a 28" barrel.

Cheers

Dave

nice one dave

should do well:-)

cheers Andy

How are you getting on Andy?

I was speaking to Ray and I can't believe that day we had with Jamie up at the boulders was 18 months ago :o

Is that Parker Hale of yours still knocking them over?

Cheers

Dave

How are you getting on Andy?

I was speaking to Ray and I can't believe that day we had with Jamie up at the boulders was 18 months ago :o

Is that Parker Hale of yours still knocking them over?

Cheers

Dave

I know mad aint it

time flys !!!!!!yeah its still going strong buddy!

still makes me smile everytime i use it even tho it had a quite year last year!

I must admit i used the br mostly as it was "new" and wrks well with the fast & slow load i have for it!

I bought 1000 155 amax so ill give it a kicking this year for sure!:-)

just hope theres some bunnys about this year as crows are a bugger to get on!(never in the same place twice & all that!)

I dream of a busy bunnie burrow at 750 yds so i get a decent new PB this year!:-p

hows ur Fclass going anyhow mate are u getting much time for some varminting?

cheers Andy

Hi Andy you're right I don't know where this year has gone!

Like you not so much time for varminting this year as F class has kept me busy.

Had a reasonable year with the high light of winning the imperial meet at Bisley

Off to the States next year for 3 weeks to shoot there Nationals with an unofficial GB team.

This is in preparation for the World Championships the year after.

Hopefully will catch up some time again

Cheers

Dave

Archived