problem with PMII scope ? or mounts

griffshrek

hello all i need some advice on a problem or set up issues i have with my new (2nd hand) PMII S&B

5-25x56 scope.

i have a 85 Sako 85 stainless varmint in .243 i have Optilock rings & bases in stainless that wore my 8x56 S&B and had no issues with it

last week i purchased a 2nd hand PMII S&B 5-25x56 scope i bought new 34mm optilock rings they do not make stainless 34mm rings and had to get phosphated and mounted them on the old stainless bases, everything fitted great no problems in the fitting.

i went out today to zero the rifle and found that i had to raise the elevation of the scope 33MOA to bring it up to my zero ( 1.5" high @ 100m ) which leaves me with 30+MOA left on elevation

have i done something wrong in my set up or is there a problem with the scope or am i missing something

my conclusions

1/are the optilock mounts front and rear specific causing the scope to aim low , the paperwork didnt mention anything on the box.

2/ are the 34mm phosphated rings not designed to fit onto the stainless bases (they fitted great)

3/ is there an issue with the scope

4/ do i need angled bases that have a set amount of MOA elevation already built in

on the up side WHAT A SCOPE i knew my reloads and rifle were good but it was hard to get really good constant groups with a 8x56 S&B and L3 retical it is a great stalking and foxing retical but i needed something better for getting me out further.

i did today shoot several 3 shot 1/4" groups @ 200m just off the bat, and managed one .197" @ 200m (no wind nice and cold). i will be in the 500yrd club soon

if you can help please let me know it would be grately appreciated...........neil

The 5-25X56 pmII is designed to work with a 40moa base. AI make a 40moa one piece mount for it. Sako make a 30moa base for the TRG rifles, which would loose you 10moa.

The 5-25 should have about 95moa with 0.1 milrad turretts and a bit less wwith 1/4 moa turretts (I seem to remember about 83moa). In any case bags of up.

If you are only doing shortish ranges maybe a 20moa base would work better - keeping the erector cell near the centre ot the tube - you are looking through the best bit of the glass then.

David.

After you got your zero, did you "rezero" the turrets?

If you havent the instructions I can copy and forward the relevant sections.

This may be the problem - I have 2 and a third full turns left on mine when zero reset with a 0 MOA rail on my BAT.

cheerers for the replies guys, i forgot to mention i did reset turrets to zero after zeroing rifle , the problem is the "yellow windows" are starting to open on the double turn turret . all i would really want is set them back to black and the elevation range left on the scope is ample for me out to 800m + which is all i need at moment .neil

i think i have cured the problem i decided to do the un-manly thing of reading the instructions over and over then over again .

conclusion--the scope if mounted on a rifle without a raised MOA rail will use up 30 odd MOA to get to zero if i want the rifle to get out to the 1600-2000yrd mark i will have to get a raised MOA rail . i have managed to return the "yellow windows " to black by turning the little slot screww in fig 13 of manual of double turn turret . when reset i have 60 MOA elevation left on scope which if my drop chart is correct will get me out to 1350yrds .

i think the 60MOA is plenty enough for me to be getting on with at the moment i still have to get into the 500yrd club yet ...regards...neil

Archived