6mm 68gr Berger bullets.

stag1933

Guest 308Panther
Hi Spider.

Always took my shooting seriously, pistol, small and full bore rifle, clays or stalking.

The problem is my bloody Glaucoma, something that even money cannot cure.

Regards HWH.

Hi Stag,

You wouldnt know it by lookin at your targets.

Thats some fine shooting in anyones book.

308Panther

Hi all.

I did some range tests with the chronograph and the 68gr Berger bullets today.

All charges had been dumped and trickled for this test and loaded into RP brass.

Average velocity was 3410 FPS. [5 shots, maximum velocity spread 75 FPS. ]

For comparison I tested some loaded into Norma brass using the 75gr V.Max. bullets instead.

These charges had been dumped and not trickled.

Average velocity was 3404 FPS. [5 shots, max. velocity spread 88 FPS. ]

Prior to these range tests I went varminting using the 68gr Bergers and missed a 95 yard Carrion with my first shot, it was very windy but it should not have been a miss.

Another 4 shots resulted in the demise of one Magpie and 3 Rabbits for the farmers dogs.

Got a mug of tea and 6 free, free-range eggs at one farm and a mug of tea and 20 sachets of Rat poison at another.

We have had problems with Rats at the Gun Club which had gnawed their

way through the cable for our acoustic release system.

The poison has been going so our problems are hopefully over.

My daughter is arriving from Australia on Saturday for a fortnight and I have the Stalkers Shoot at Bowscar, Cumbria to run on Sunday so it is going to be a busy time ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

My daughter arrived from Australia with a friend on Saturday as expected but very late in the day. Spring and 25+ degrees there, 11 Cent. here !

We had the Border Stalkers shoot at Bowscar on Sunday, it was cold , windy and damp.

The course of fire was similar to the DMQ rifle test but with 9 shots on the Roebuck and 3 shots on the standard grouping target.

First with a perfect 120/120 [30+90] was Ray Barnes of Barrow, second was myself 119 [30+89] ,third Spiderman with 119 [29+90] , 4th. Ratwhiskers 118 [30+88] and 5th. John Threlkeld 117 [27+90] using my rifle and ammo.

The principal prize for the event was a days Red- Deer stalking donated by Robert Hasell-McCosh of Dalemain Estate.

Several prizes were also given by Malcolm Plant of Northallerton Shooting Supplies.

The 2 shot pool shoot was won by K Gager 20, 2nd Ratwhiskers 19, 3rd Spiderman 19, 4th R Barnes 19, 5th Zaitsev 18, 6th Lisa [Ratwife] 18.

The free raffle for a bottle of Scotch was won by Spiderman.

Next years Training Days for The Border Stalkers are as below:-

Spring Shoot 20th April 08.

Summer Shoot 15th June 08.

Autumn Shoot 17th August 08.

• 2 weeks later...

Having tried the 68gr Bergers on rabbits I have been itching to try them on crows, got a 125 yard shot on Tuesday and zapped it but didn`t recover it for inspection due to the sensitive place where shot !

Went out today and had an excellent opportunity for a 100 yard shot at a Carrion but did not dare as it was at the top of a dead tree with sky behind.

Went to two or three more farms and got 1 Magpie [again sensitive] and 2 Carrions with the three shots.

Damage with good solid hits was not as severe as with the 75gr V.Max.

This load is extremely accurate but I do like to see them well busted as I think a shot not quite perfect would result in a lost bird with the Bergers. [ Running total for 07 now 116 Carrions and 5 Magpies.]

As usual got tea, bics. and half-a-dozen free free-range large brown eggs.

Off to Scotland next week to tantalise the Red-Deer with my camera and Ireland in October to photograph the Sika.

I might even get nasty there and decide to SHOOT one with the rifle, I haven`t gone completely GREEN yet !!!!

HWH.

Carrionswith68grBerger003.jpg

Have you tried the g+c custom 68 grainers Stag? they have a thin jacket and a decent hole and make a mess of foxes, i,ll bet they would be good on crows, and will blind the bergers , accuracy wise.They were far and away the most accurate 6mm, i,ve ever used, at that weight. If you want some to try, drop me a pm. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I received the 6mm, 68gr. G&C Custom flat base bullets today from `baldi.

I was unable to try his pet load as I had no Varget powder but did have the BR2 benchrest primers and RP brass which he uses.

As stated elsewhere my new tub of Vit. N140 dropped out of my measure at 42.5 gr. instead of 40.5 gr as hitherto.

Fortunately I always check weigh when I change batches and was able to fend off any possible nastiness.

Hopper reset and normal service resumed !

I loaded 5 with my usual Fed.210 Match primer. [Target No.2]

Also 5 with the BR2 primer. [Target No.3]

Target No.1 was one shot with my previous 68gr Berger as benchmark and barrel fouling shot.

A 5 pence piece is shown as size reference, all 11 shots out of the car window at 100 yards.

It would appear that apart from a minor shift in elevation the G&C are going to be just as accurate, it will be interesting to see how well they mortify the vermin.

On another thread someone asked about different primers. The photo below is an example of what can happen when two different types are used. [all other things being equal.]

I usually have 6 or 7 different primers in stock and when developing a load by only changing primer type I have found many excellent groups.

HWH.

GC68grtestBaldi.004.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

The 68gr Bergers and G&C are very accurate but damage to feathered vermin is only slight even with a middle shot.

On rabbits they seem to do a good job but for the feathered vermin the 75gr V.Max. takes beating.

Unfortunately locally there are NO supplies but I did manage to get a box of the 87grain V.Max. which I may return to.

Below bunny zapped with the 68gr Berger.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

Went out today for a shot or two but got 7 !!!

It was a very bright sunny day with a few birds on show at most farms.[Carrions, rooks and jackdaws mainly.]

Got a 140 yard shot on a Carrion and flattened it, drove around to the gate to go and collect it as I am checking damage with these 68gr bullets still.

When I got round there others were flying around the dead body so I waited. Soon a Maggie settled on a post 80 yards away so I arrested it and 5 mins. later one of its friends landed on the same post and was also taken into custody.

Now the cowardly blighters decided all was not well and departed.

I gathered up the bodies for further inspection and went to another farmers ground. Whilst viewing a potential shot in the field an unknown vehicle stopped and I was expecting grief from a `bunny hugger` but it was a friend who gave me about 60 once fired .243 RWS cases. The day was getting better and better !!

Visits to two more farms resulted in a grand total of 3 Magpies and 4 Carrions for 7 shots.

The last Carrion I shot was the big brute on the left of the picture.

It was a simple broadside shot at 90 yards and flew off apparently unscathed but after 70 yards it fell out of the sky, this is the second time it has happened with these 68 gr match bullets. The are deadly accurate but sometimes hardly expand.

Without doubt the 75gr V.Max are the answer to my problems as legs, wings and various other bits fly everywhere when hit almost anywhere.

CarrionsandMaggies003.jpg

Guest 308Panther

Hi Stag...

You sure have a passion for killin them Black things,

Whats the count up to now?

The Bergers sure do a number on bunny.

308Panther

They work Ok but as Stag says they WUMP effect of a vmax at similar velocity is usually much more dramatic. NBTs are about in the middle, do not expand as fast as a VMAX but faster than a match bullet. All get the job done though and the match bullets have an edge accuracy wise.

A

Guest 308Panther
Aye, but I am still behind, I had 152 carrions in 06 and 192 in 05.

I really need 172 to keep the average !!!

HWH.

Well,the year aint over yet and fall is just startin....

We havent had a heavy frost yet...Couple lil light ones but

mainly its just abit chilly in the 50's F or about 10 C (?)

So ya gots plenty of time yet.

308Panther

Hi all.

Went to the range yesterday to try some .243 75gr Speer HP No.1205 given to me by Redfox.

Same load as previously but in the Geco [RWS] brass.

The first shot was the one on the right then it started raining heavily.

These shoot to almost the same impact point of the Bergers, very useful and the very large hollow point looks promising.

I zapped a bunny, neck shot, on a nearby farm, damage was severe.

These could be good stuff.

The Golden Goose arrived today in the form of Ratwhiskers who kindly brought me 200 V.Max 75grainers from Southern places. They have been unobtainable here for ages. Thanks Ratty.

75grSpeerHPChewy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You can buy the Berger in a varmint version with a larger hollow point -they just don't close up the hollow point so far when setting the forming dies . They use the standard J-4 jacket so that should blow up well.

Or find some one with a match tool for triming the bullet tips.

Try the Speer 70 gr TNT if you want some expansion. I used some in a .240 Wby -quite fun .

Glenn

Hi SW.

I shot 6 Carrions yesterday, 5 with the 75gr Speer HP and 1 [longest range] with the 68gr Berger,

The Berger shoots about half an inch higher at the same sight setting.

Those Speers do a grand job and I was pleased to get 6 birds with 6 shots.

I had more opportunities but with dodgy backgrounds.

Ratwhiskers brought me 200 75gr V.Max recently so when I use up these odds & sods I`ll get back to my favourite.

I don`t like to have boxes around with small numbers left in them as it`s wasteful.

Running total for 07 is 133 Carrions and 9 Magpies.

HWH.

SmallNikoncarrions008.jpg

Archived