leupold mildots

skany

Hi guys

bought a vx3 6.5-20x50 that hasa mildot ret & was wonderin at wht mag & how many MOA between dots

cant find much info on em ;)

thought it could be usefull ti have some info in my flip up cover on em if no time to dial

cheers in advance

skany,

The mildot retical is a range finding feature where the distance between the centre of one dot to the centre of the next is one milradian which is a metric measurement and cannot be combined with MOA which is imperial.

One milradian subtends 1metre at 1000m and although it can be converted to MOA its not a quick sum.

Many shooters mistakenly regard the mildot system as some kind of holdover device which it is most definaetly not, again you could workout the value of drop in between each dot but this would mean some complex calculations.

Use the mildot for what its meant to do, rangefinding and use your turrets and a ballistics chart to dial in your drops and windage.

Ian.

There's nothing particularly mysterious about mildots- they equate to just over 3MOA each.

Unless the reticle has subunits, that's too coarse for much holdover work.

Chris-NZ

Hi Guys

I looked on the leup site after I posted & it said each dot works out at 3.6moa center to center "normaly on highest mag setting on zoom scopes" but call customer suport for you particuler model!

i was hoping someone could have saved me the trouble if they knew one way or the other wht mag they work out at :-)

On the 308 with its loupy trajectory i like the idea of a quick refrnace on the flip up cap for that 2-300yd fox that may not be hanging around for long!

cheers Andy

FFP - ranges at any setting as the reticle moves with the change in magnification

SFP - ranges at top end on magnification as the reticle does not change and stays where it is throughout it's range (at least l think that's the way round... kick me if it 'ain't)

Chances are you'll have to range on full magnification as most loopys set up that way.....

Any better??!!

His scope should be a SFP......

Most of the FFP scopes are in the Mk 4's.

With the exception of the one or two members here that are

actively participating in Sniper Comps...there is no reason

to use a Mildot reticle.

By the time you've gone thru the math calculations required,

your target has moved on.

A scope with a BDC reticle would have been a wiser choice.

308Panther

it wasnt a choice really due to a bit of confusion on wht ret was on the S/H scope i purchesed i jsut kinda ended up with it!

its just if each dot is 3.6MOA i can see hot it will be usefull to have a scetch of aim points in the cap

cheers andy

Yup the Mildotmaster's hard to use sometimes but l've seen lasers fail in poor/direct bright light/rain/moving mist... it's just another option

Any shot not taken is always a miss.....

l like to shoot stuff off the end of the barrel if possible, but sometimes you've just got th let the bullet do the stalking.....

'Panther

Yup l merely placed the quote as was writ.... l would not advocate simply lashing out with a round just to get the shot off, as l said end of barrel if possible.

l've read a bit about the Mil/Mil scopes and as you say it removes one more bit of math, but doesn't it involve more clicks? l'm on Mil/cm (european) but was brought up feet n inches..... Gives me a bloody headache sometimes, so l just ran it through a program devided by 4 and called it Min to get my head round it and it works for me. Been thinking about sending the scope back and having the turrets changed to something more usable Mil/Mil or Mil/MOA??

'Panther

Yes mate l hear you totally, l went and changed from Mil/MOA (piece of piss to do) to Mil/cm and it's not easy to make the change over at all but l seem to have managed it in the end. lf it weren't for public access l'd put up marker pegs with known sizes painted on them all over the place, but it's just too much hastle and most of the time not needed where l am.

lt's just them pesky crows and foxes that need addressed at longer ranges, and as you say a quick flash with the laser takes care of it most of the time

Regarding deer.... Roe are nowhere as big, but the ranges are fairly close at times (off the barrel at 6yrds is just assassination :rolleyes: ) and where would any of us be without the pleasure of the stalk???

Ahh..... stalking..... Salma Hyak has a restraining order on me (or she should have if she's any sence the girl) a jar of runny honey and a bag of buscuit crumbs is all l'd need for the thrill of a lifetime.....

Anyway.... you had any further luck Spud??

I'll put in a slightly different perspective as I think I know what Andy was getting at.

I use a mildot scope for holdovers on my 22LR. I am zero'd at 60 yards. I know that my dots are 84, 104, and 124 (don't know how it worked out so evenly). I used a ballistics calculator to estimate and confirmed with a couple target groups. It is handy to know that because there are a few places I shoot where I have known ranges (have range them before) but they are beyond what I could accurately holdover. If a bunny pops up at 90 yards, I know he is between dots 1 and 2, so I make a quick estimation and shoot. I won't be shooting far enough to dial in a 22, as rabbits at 100 yards don't stick around long enough to dial in 7.2 MOA.

In andy's case, knowing what yardages correspond to the dots would be useful when you don't have time to range. It is more accurate than a quick holdover since you have two points to estimate between.

If anyone wants to know how I got to the specific yardages, I can post that.

Thanks,

Rick

Rick thats all well and dandy with a fixed scope but with a zoom sfp scope it would probably result in a lot of cock ups unless you only use it on one mag ( not much point in having a zoom then :o ) .

Hi guys,

Yes, I normally leave it on 10X. From my deer hunting learning (with a 3-9) I walk with it down low (2.5 in this case) and as soon as I see game crank it up. That has carried over to all of my rifle shooting. So different magnifications don't matter. I do use it at lower magnifications, but only on close shots where I'm using the crosshairs anyway.

Also, I'll never click this scope. As I said, for 22LR ranges (under 125) I have no need. A rabbit or hare's head fits nicely under the mildot at 80 yards with plenty of fur around the edges. Crows and pigeons are the same. At 100 I'm shooting shoulder shots anyway, so within the range of the 22 I have no problems seeing the target around the mildot.

panther,

While you may have a centerfire restriction on rabbits and squirrels, you've got the benefits of groundhogs or groundsquirrels/pdogs (if not both, depending where you live). I would take groundhogs in PA over rabbits here anyway.

Thanks,

Rick

Archived