Tumbler media

sandtrap

I use crushed walnut shell in my Lyman vibration tumbler that was bought from an industrial blast cleaning supplies company in Middlewich Cheshire..  A 25Kg sack cost me £13.  It's a life time's supply.  Industrial cleaning cabinets typically use walnut shell for production part cleaning.  It comes in different grades but I'd just tell the supplier what you're doing an go with their recommendation.  I've no idea what mine is now - it's been too long.

I mix a tiny amount of jeweller's rouge (eBay) and the brass comes out loverly and shiny.  The media I use lasts for 100's of cases before I discard it (I do ultrasonic clean first).

Gunshop supplies are a massive rip-off.  The packaging probably cost more than the media!

I work in the offshore drilling industry and we used walnut shells in different grades as LCM ( loss control material) it basically plugs up tiny cracks in the formation while we’re drilling .. 

but im at home on extra leave at the moment or I’d get some from work for nowt !  

1 minute ago, sandtrap said:

I work in the offshore drilling industry and we used walnut shells in different grades as LCM ( loss control material) it basically plugs up tiny cracks in the formation while we’re drilling .. 

but im at home on extra leave at the moment or I’d get some from work for nowt !  

can't hurt to try it out - freebee is cheap indeed 😁

Walnut shell is better than the corn cob media.

Agree that those sold by most gun shops are waaaay, waaaay overpriced.

I bought 25kg off eBay a few years back for around £15 delivered.

I now ultrasonic clean as the dry tumbling method leaves a fine dust and soot around, evident when handling the cases after tumbling. Your hands and fingers go black with it...that’s all those toxic chemicals and carbon. Horrid. To stop your dies and action from also receiving this film of dust, really you have to wipe your cases down.

Above is all a faff when compared to U/S cleaning, so much simpler, quicker and mess free imho!

51 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

Walnut shell is better than the corn cob media.

Agree that those sold by most gun shops are waaaay, waaaay overpriced.

I bought 25kg off eBay a few years back for around £15 delivered.

I now ultrasonic clean as the dry tumbling method leaves a fine dust and soot around, evident when handling the cases after tumbling. Your hands and fingers go black with it...that’s all those toxic chemicals and carbon. Horrid. To stop your dies and action from also receiving this film of dust, really you have to wipe your cases down.

Above is all a faff when compared to U/S cleaning, so much simpler, quicker and mess free imho!

That's why I ultrasonic first, keeps the media quite clean for a while.  I like to tumble for the shiny results rather than any technical advantage!  It's a faff but it's my time to waste😁

For health reasons, it's a good idea to ensure tumbling is done where there's some ventilation to take the flying dust away.

• 2 weeks later...

I use corn cob media. Very fine, almost like sand.

I got it ages ago from a shot blasting supply place in a 25kg bag.

Google mesh sizes for media,  as that was how it was described for grain size. I can't remember the mesh number off hand (it was a while ago)but I would imagine a supplier would show you or tell you.

Great stuff, doesn't block the flash holes. I usually add a small amount of T cut or similar and tumble this on it's own for half an hour before adding the brass. This seems to stop any dust also.

As stated above, it'll last years.