Starline brass. Any good??

chaz

Are any of you people out there using and getting on with Starline brass?

I bought a bag of 100 new .223 Remington Starline brass from Kranks, after watching several reviews. 2 of them showing how things work in the factory itself. In the one video it stated that the brass will vary slightly in length. Going from 1.745” to 1.750”. But that’s not what I found. Mine ranged from 1.742” to a max of 1.747”. Granted it’s still the same length difference, but I hate short brass!

I also tried to uniform the primer pockets, but they were so deep, my pocket uniforming tool didn’t reach the bottom of any of the brass. Just to point out that the tool being used at a factory fixed depth. Albeit, it would not be hard to adjust the deburring tool to cut a little deeper. (Bad idea??) Perhaps they are all uniform, hence not needing the procedure carrying out…

One of the videos also said that although the flash holes were “Punched out” and not drilled, it was done in a way that leaves no internal burrs. Is that even possible?? On looking at the flash hole from the primer pocket end with a mild strength magnifying glass, the flash holes were rough as hell! (Perhaps the burrs will burn off??) I appreciate I can use my flash hole deburring tools, but it’s just more hassle. Would there be much difference (all other things being equal) in a 4 shot group at around 350 yards with brass ranging from from said 1.742” to 1.747”?

Lastly the mouths of the cases are the worst for ruffness i have ever come across. But using the mild Lee chamfer and deburring tool soon sorted that out.

Just to point out, I’m well aware you get what you pay for and I only paid around £35 delivered. I generally use Lapua, and PPU. Wish I had bought PPU now, as in my opinion, on this occasion they are far better than Starline.

Constructive opinions appreciated.

Chaz.

I use Starline in 45/70 and it's been fine so far. I can't say if it's particularly accurately manufactured as I don't worry about variability with that calibre. I did de-burr the flash holes, they were rough. Never had a misfire so I guess the primer pockets are within spec.

I'm using Starline in my .44mag and it's fine. Probably better than Winchester but not quite as good as Remington in quality.

All my brass were short (not crazily so) but fairly uniform in length. 

I thought the flash holes were rather good, no issues with mine, though I wouldn't really care if they were as my .44mag is used purely for rapidly slinging cast lead downrange.

Dunno then. Maybe Starline have different machines or processes for the various calibres they produce. Or maybe it's luck of the draw?!

I think "Luck of the draw" Is about right Catch 22.

If possible i'd like to get some responses from users using "Bottle neck" brass by Star-Line.??

Thanks for the 2 responses both.

Chaz.

• 1 month later...

I'm glad i never bought any of this in 6.5mm. I appreciate you get what you pay for. But i'm comparing it to the PPU brass i bought a long time ago in .223. The PPU is far better in my opinion. I've found the neck tensions in the Starline to be very inconsistent. And that's from new on it's first loading....I've no intention of buying anymore....  

I do have Lapua .223 brass, which i bought a couple of years ago, and its still going strong. Although I keep these for my 75/77 grain long range (For .223 anyway) reloads.

Archived