COAL Test - 204 Ruger

Elliott

Bought some new Nosler brass as the old Hornady stuff was getting passed its best. 

Turned out the same powder charge of 25.6gr Vhit N530 provided the most stable groups, but I wasn't happy with 3/4" at 100 yards.

Thought I'd adjust the COAL and see what difference it made. Started with the longest 2.275" and decided that'd do! cool.png

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nRqDby7uFp3PxkL8A
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dtQroAyLNf8Pba967

9 minutes ago, Bob57 said:

Nice group Elliot, what was the coal on your rounds with the 3/4" group?

Thanks. It was 2.248"

Interestingly, it grouped just as well at 2.248" with the Hornady brass when I first developed the load. I have shot around 500 rounds since then, though.

Wonder if I've worn away the throat and I'm chasing the lands? Cleaned with solvent after every use, so it's well looked after. 

Perhaps it's got more to do with pressures changing with the different brass vs seating depth? 

Either way, I'm happy with the results. 

Easiest way to find out , load 4 with your old hornady brass as original 2.248" and try a group again.

My bullets are seated 103 thou longer than yours(coal with 39grn s/b/k)and still well off the lands,so you've got a long way to go yet and won't get there with any decent bullet hold

2 hours ago, Bob57 said:

Easiest way to find out , load 4 with your old hornady brass as original 2.248" and try a group again.

My bullets are seated 103 thou longer than yours(coal with 39grn s/b/k)and still well off the lands,so you've got a long way to go yet and won't get there with any decent bullet hold

Yeah, I think it'll still be jumping to the lands. The CZ's seem to be the same. These fit into the mag nicely, too. 

The old Hornady stuff is passed its best, so I'll stick with the load I've developed - no more messing about needed 👍🏻

Archived