semi custom varminter

This new topic is open to all advice, but as i intend to use Baldie and SYSS his input would be appreciated. Ii ntend to buy a Tikka 595 and get it sent to Baldie for re-barrelling into .243 ai. The rifle will be my only centerfire to cover long range varminting, foxing and roe deer. Is this a sensible path to follow, is the tikka a good choice given that i am left handed, are there synthetic stocks available for a future upgrade. Guys, good honest advice will be much appreciated.Tim.

I go along with .17 Rem your making it very hard for yourself using a .222 bolt face which is smaller than the one you want to chamber for.

If I were you I would give SYSS a ring and have a chat with Roger or Dave who can put you on the right track.

If you are new to the sport and reloading especially you may be better with the standard .243 cartridge and may be a factory left hand rifle. The Ackley although not difficult to form may not be the best for somone new to reloading.

Just my thoughts

Dave

As I said give the boys at SYSS a ring, they're a friendly lot and I'm sure they will put you on the right track.

As a thought do you have any experience of reloading?

Cheers

Dave

will not .243 ai chamber still fire factory ammo- i have read that .243ai can still give excellent accuracy with factory ammo, then when reloading is mastered you gain the extra capacity from 243ai. Am i wrong?

If thats the case you'd definitely be better off with the standard chambering, you'd probably shoot the barrel out before you got round to reloading.

Funky Bunch on here runs a .243 AI and Varminter used to have one pm them for advice or they may jump on this thread.

Cheers

Dave

thanks for your replies, i have delt with Roger for a few years and agree he is a top bloke. What standard rifle would you recommend given that i would like to customise it in the future.

you can get good groups from fire forming cases, and when i was doing mine i used them to shoot foxes and other stuff.

you will only get about 1200 rounds out of a 243 AI before accuracy falls off,(depending how hard you push it.)

if you are looking for a do anything cartridge then you will be OK with the standard 243. and if you have a custom barrel you might not even bother reloading for it as you should get very good accuracy with it shooting factory.but not as good as reloading, i would say with a properly put together rifle you should be getting 1/2" @ 100y with factory.

there is no point in opening up a boldface in the 595 tikka as there should be plenty about in the correct bolt face.

personally i would have the action blueprinted as well,as the action is the base of the rifle,and it should be made good.

i don't know what price SYSS charge for blueprinting (and the coast of the rifle to)but if i was you i would way this in against the price of a custom one that is good from the start.

if its going to be a long term project then the 595 will be the best way to do the job,as you will be able to use the stock, trigger, till you have the founds for a new ones.

best thing to do is give Dave a ring and he will sort you out and let you know the pros and cons on the rifle.

it not all ways the best policy to get everyones opinion,as we all have different ideas of what is right and what is not.

Dave knows what he is on about and will not see you go down the wrong road.

ATB

Colin ;)

PS i had to give you my opinion,its the law :blink::blink::blink:;)

Legion,

I ran a Rem PSS in 243 and sold that to get a custom barrelled 243Ackley.

Although an excellent cartridge and as easy to reload as standard 243 i must agree with the others there is no point having one if you dont hand-load.

My rifle never saw a factory round, i handloaded for it with new brass right from the start, taylor making the rounds to suit my chamber.

My advice would be to get yourself a standard heavy barrelled 243 rifle, shoot that, learn how to hand-load and when you understand the principles better, then get your rifle re-barrelled to 243 AI.

Ian.

Hello Legion.Please dont take this the wrong way, or anyone else for that matter. I,m not going to enter into an online chat with everyone about what would be best for YOU. The last time i did, everyone gave an opinion, and the poor chap was left that confused, he gave up on the idea full stop, thus costing us a customer.

By all means, call the shop, or better still, pop in for a good long chat, and we can sit down, and sort out exactly what YOU require from a custom gun.You are paying for it, and shooting it, i need to know what you, only , need.

Look forward to seeing you buddy.

Archived