new 6m br

sniperpete

Yes you can use straight out the box - just load and shoot.

However, to start with best consistency I do the following with all my new brass:

1. Full Length resize all my brass to minimum spec (do so without expander button)

2. Use my Sinclair Expander Mandrel on the necks. Sometimes new brass neck tension can be a bit too tight IMO

3. Take 10-20 cases, measure the length and trim all cases to the shortest one you've found. 

4. Chamfer and deburr the case mouths after trimming.

In the end you should have all your brass fairly consistent.

Extra steps you may also want to consider are checking flashholes for burrs and ream them out. You could also ream the primer pockets so they're all the same size and depth. If you've a tight necked chamber (e.g. Custom chamber...not really applicable for a factory chamber) you may need to neck turn the bass. However I don't do any of the above because I've never needed to...and certainly can't be arsed as I'm not shooting competitions.

No doubt you'll hear other opinions/experience.

Happy shooting 

26 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

Yes you can use straight out the box - just load and shoot.

However, to start with best consistency I do the following with all my new brass:

1. Full Length resize all my brass to minimum spec (do so without expander button)

2. Use my Sinclair Expander Mandrel on the necks. Sometimes new brass neck tension can be a bit too tight IMO

3. Take 10-20 cases, measure the length and trim all cases to the shortest one you've found. 

4. Chamfer and deburr the case mouths after trimming.

In the end you should have all your brass fairly consistent.

Extra steps you may also want to consider are checking flashholes for burrs and ream them out. You could also ream the primer pockets so they're all the same size and depth. If you've a tight necked chamber (e.g. Custom chamber...not really applicable for a factory chamber) you may need to neck turn the bass. However I don't do any of the above because I've never needed to...and certainly can't be arsed as I'm not shooting competitions.

No doubt you'll hear other opinions/experience.

Happy shooting 

Thanks mate,

just for foxing for a start and for breaking in new barrel . ps will put up a picture of it when its done

Hi pete , i found that out the box the 6br brass Lapua was very consistent in length , ok i had to expand the neck ready for neck turning .    ( 269 neck ) but i would still expand the necks even if i didn't need  to turn as like catch does as its pretty tight on bullet seating , and that may give better accuracy after some fouling / breaking in shots ! Atb

On 4/14/2018 at 2:17 PM, gunner said:

Hi pete , i found that out the box the 6br brass Lapua was very consistent in length , ok i had to expand the neck ready for neck turning .    ( 269 neck ) but i would still expand the necks even if i didn't need  to turn as like catch does as its pretty tight on bullet seating , and that may give better accuracy after some fouling / breaking in shots ! Atb

thanks gunner

Archived