primers for 6.5 creedmoor

rangey

anyone loading 6.5cm lapau brass...

just starting to reload for this and would be grateful for advice on which small rifle primers to use in the lapau brass.

also just found out that decaping pin in the lee dies is to large for the flash hole..was thinking of just sanding the pin down to fit....anyone done this...don't fancy having to buy a new set of dies

2 hours ago, rangey said:

anyone loading 6.5cm lapau brass...

just starting to reload for this and would be grateful for advice on which small rifle primers to use in the lapau brass.

also just found out that decaping pin in the lee dies is to large for the flash hole..was thinking of just sanding the pin down to fit....anyone done this...don't fancy having to buy a new set of dies

Hornady dies I believe should be fine, as should Redding.  Otherwise you can take a little off your decapping pin yourself.  I did this with my Lee de-capping die by removing the pin, fitting it into a drill chuck and spinning it up with the trigger locked on, using a very fine jewellers file to hone the pin end down to the required diameter (I think from memory I took it down to 1.45mm diameter).  I finished it off with a medium grit ceramic honing stone and  some fine emery paper.  Since then, I've bought Redding dies with a small primer friendly decapping pin.

Laurie has recently posted some links to tests that he undertook with a range of primers on the Muroms for magnums thread.

I did the same as you VarmLR, sandpaper and a fine file in a pillar drill soon sorted my decapping rod. I always use Hornady dies, but found the decapping pins too big. I didn't know you could buy them in a smaller size. Best i get ordering...

As for primers, since the Rem 7.5's went scarce a few years back I've always used Federal Gold Match 205m's with good results. 

Archived