Stupid powder charge question

njc110381

Hi all. I'm having some bother working out a load for my .45-70 and wondered if anyone can help me? I have a thought process that makes sense in my head but at the same time I'm not comfortable with...

I'm hoping to load 500gr .45-70 cartridges using Alliant RL10x, but I can't find data. Looking at lower bullet weights it seems RL 7 needs less charge per given bullet weight than RL10x, and 10x is a better powder for 400gr bullets than 7. Being the other way around with 300gr that suggests 10x is better for heavier bullets? But then I can only find 7 data for 500gr. That got me thinking and I went to look for .458 Mag data and sure enough, 10x is listed with higher charge weights than 7 in that. So, the question is this... If I load 10x to the data provided for 7 in the .45-70, will it be safe as I'm assuming?! My brain tells me it'll be fine, but it's also telling me that I'm not clever enough to make that decision and I shouldn't do it until someone brighter has backed me up!

Would QL Have the answer ? I could run the numbers tomorrow after work if you post your proposed load data ! Oal , powder , bullet  , twist and length of barrel etc ? ATB 

Archived