123gr and 136L Scenars

biged85

Hi all, I was wandering if I could get some advice.

A bit of background 

I have a very accurate load running in my 6.5 Creedmoor with 24 inch barrel. it is 123gr Scenars seated at 2.810 using H4350 and it prints sub 1/4 inch groups.

Now I stumbled across this seating depth by accident, it was just the first one I tried!

So with the loss of H4350 I have now acquired some Viht N150, I still have some 123gr Scenars and I also have a box of 136gr Scenar L to try.

I have not got a gauge for measuring where the lands are. 

The 123gr COL Question

So load data from VIHT with N150 suggests a COL of 2.677 (which seems pretty deep), so my question is...do I use this COL or the COL from my proven previous load of H4350 of 2.810?

Where would you start?

The 136L COL Question

The load data from VIHT for this bullet suggest a COL of 2.677 as well (again, pretty deep). Now I know this bullet is of a different design so what COL would you guys suggest, book or same as 123gr Scenars?

Many Thanks in advance

Ed 

I'd forget the book OAL because they mean nothing in reality - everyone's throat is different because of the myriad of reamers out there.

If you know your 2.810 COL works well, stick with it. You may find you will end up tweaking the depth anyway following your powder switch.

Attached is a video that goes through what I think is the best way to find your lands. Don't bother with a gauge, use this method for a far more accurate and reliable way. With the measurement you end up with, you can then try different seating depths - 10thou, 20thou, 30thou off the lands until you're happy.

35 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

I'd forget the book OAL because they mean nothing in reality - everyone's throat is different because of the myriad of reamers out there.

If you know your 2.810 COL works well, stick with it. You may find you will end up tweaking the depth anyway following your powder switch.

Attached is a video that goes through what I think is the best way to find your lands. Don't bother with a gauge, use this method for a far more accurate and reliable way. With the measurement you end up with, you can then try different seating depths - 10thou, 20thou, 30thou off the lands until you're happy.

Hi Catch22,

Thanks for this, I will give it a go. I have been very lucky with finding loads so far in both rifles, first powder choice and first bullet choice. Just a shame about REACH and the loss of some good powders. 

ATB

Ed

I've used that method for setting up the die to bump the shoulder back but not to find the oal.

It will be intresting to try it out.for some reason I find it hard to get any consistant measuring using the hornaday gauge using 7mm  180gr scenar  l's.I get consistant readings with other bullets. Thanks for that video.

Archived