Replying to raptor calls annealing machine

No i deer

Hi admin.

Not sure why but on my screen it' not giving me the option to reply to this thread.i was after some basic info like time in the flame so not to ruin my brass.does it come with some data on this..?

Cheers No I deer

If you want to get in touch, just send him s PM. I've found him to be excellent with communication. But he is busy (I think this is a side line business).

About the flame, he can't tell you how long to put the brass in the flame. It's all a combination of what brass you have (different brass has different thicknesses, metallurgy makeup etc), and the torch you use (you might have a very fine pencil torch or a huge after burner). 

You need to buy some Templiaq heat indicating paint. I bought the 750 degrees farenheight stuff (green bottle) from Spud1967.

Get 2-3 cases to sacrifice (you'll need to keep them for setup each time). Apply a coat  of the Tempilaq to the INSIDE of the necks - not outside - and wait 5 mins to dry. Get your flame running and the machine on. I'd start the timer at about 4 seconds.

put one case in and watch the Templiaq colour in the flame. You want to leave it in there until just at the precise moment when the green paint turns black/burns off. That's when you've reached 750df and you're just at annealing temperature. If the paint doesn't burn off before the case leaves the flame, you've not yet annealed. If you leave the case in too long beyond the paint burns off (i.e. 2-3 seconds beyond) then you've over annealed.

so it's some trial and error. Gradually increase the timer until your cases are in the flame for just the right time. Then make a note of the timer for next time you setup. Though I've found my torch has a variable control, so I never know if the torch flame was the same as it was in last annealing session, so I have to do this setup process each time. But knowing timings from last time gives you a good starting point for the timer.

HTH - waffle over

2 hours ago, No i deer said:

Thanks for the reply

Sacrificing 3 cases at £1.50 each and reuse each time isnt so bad 

Absolutely. Thing is annealing will increase your brass life by stopping split necks. This in itself will give you a big saving. I'd expect my brass to last 20-30 Reloading's if I'm annealing properly. Save a fortune. 2-3 sacrificed cases is nothing!

Annealing won't of course stop primer pockets opening up, but if someone's running pressure that high, they deserve short brass life.

There was a post on SD about stress relief annealing cartridge  brass (comes up on Google) and one post showed using soap as the temperature guide. Interesting read, and the soap is a quick and cheap guide.

Even though I use tempillaq I always set up the annealer in a dark room so that I can see the brass start to colour up. Just my OCD I guess.

U Tube Vid using soap here.

Archived