RFD transfer rules

CameronWilson

I'm going on the basis of a face to face sale. The buyers details on my ticket and the sellers details on the buyers ticket. At least that's what West Mercia Police tell me...

The whole system needs an overhaul.

Can’t see why section 1 is any different to section 2 in regards to sales. 

Mods need to be taken off ticket as it’s just a tube that if I wasn’t going to put on a firearm I wouldn’t need an FAC for. 

At least expanding ammo shouldn’t be restricted for too much longer and lending firearms as like you can section 2 shouldn’t be too far away. 

At least a bit of common sense  has got to the policy makers in that regards. 

just have to keep jumping through the hoops until common sense kicks On the issue of sales. 

There's no provision for lending firearms like shotguns (in that you can loan one for 72 hours) in the policing and crime act that has the expanding ammo change. There are changes to the laws about borrowing firearms for hunting while in the presence of the owner and on land they have authority to shoot over.

"Authorised  lending  and  possession  of  firearms  for  hunting  etc. This  amendment  is  the  result  of  an  attempt  to  simplify  the  shotgun  and  rifle  exemptions  within the  1968  and  1988  Firearms  Acts  for  the  purpose  of  lending  a  shotgun  or  rifle  on  land.  They used  terms  not  defined  in  law,  especially  “occupier”. The  new  exemption  is  drafted  in  quite  broad  terms  so  as  to  refer  to  the  lender  as  “A  person who has a right  to  allow  others  to  enter  the  premises  (it  means  land)  for  the  purpose  of  hunting animals,  shooting  game  or  vermin”.  That  person  may  authorise  another  in  writing  to  lend  a rifle  or  shotgun  on  those  ‘premises’. The  following  conditions  have  to  be  met  for  this  to  be  lawful; ·  The borrower  of  a  rifle  must  be  over  17. ·  The borrower  of  a  shotgun  may  be  any  age. ·  The lender  must  be  aged  18  or  older  (rifle  and  shotgun). ·  The borrower  must  be  in  the  presence  of  the  lender  i.e.  in  sight  and  earshot. ·  The lender  and  borrower  must  comply  with  any  conditions  of  the  lender’s  certificate. ·  The  purpose  of  the  loan  is  only  for  hunting  animals,  shooting  game  or  vermin  or shooting  artificial  targets. ·  Written  permission  is  required  for  the  borrower  where  they  do  not  have  a  right  to  allow others  onto  the  land  to  shoot.  Verbal  permission  is  no  longer  permitted.   The  current  s11(6)  exemption  for  shooting  artificial  targets  with  shotguns  remains  untouched. "

This came into law on 2nd of May as did the expanding ammo change.

The only thing outstanding is the automatic extension of a FAC by six months if they don't get the renewal done in time. This is delayed because the computer system needs changing to send out automatic extension notification.

In Law, anyone can 'own' anything - even firearms. They may not be able to 'hold' them, but ownership does not necessitate possession.

I have personally 'brokered' the disposal of firearms, S1, S2 and S5 held by police after confiscating them from the 'owners' father. The 'owner' was disbarred from holding a FAC for life, but it could not preclude him from owning the property, merely 'holding' his property.

Hello,

The reason the question of the seller needing to enter the firearm details directly onto the purchaser’s FAC arises is because of the wording of s3(2) Firearms Act 1968 (as amended);

2)It is an offence for a person to sell or transfer to any other person in the United Kingdom, other than a registered firearms dealer, any firearm or ammunition to which section 1 of this Act applies, or a shot gun, unless that other produces a firearm certificate authorising him to purchase or acquire it or, as the case may be, his shot gun certificate, or shows that he is by virtue of this Act entitled to purchase or acquire it without holding a certificate.

The requirement refers to “produces”. This has been interpreted by police and CPS as meaning the purchaser must produce their FAC to the seller, i.e the seller must see it (and infers the seller would therefore enter the transaction onto it). 

The practice of transfer from one RFD to another, who then enters the details, may be judged by a court as meaning the original requirement was not fulfilled, however there does not seem to have been any public interest in a prosecution to find out, when nothing adverse has happened.

As with many of these situations, it seems likely that the only time the public interest test would be met is if something went wrong. I expect the Met. Police are giving their advice so that RFDs and others know how the law is being interpreted by the enforcement agencies, just in case something went amiss.

I hope that helps.

Adrian

Thanks for the thoughts/clarification in the above posts.

Seems to be a very badly worded piece of legislation, from the parts quoted so far,

- most certainly an offence to take payment in full or transfer a firearm or licensable component without sight of an authority to buy / acquire said item

- in respect of accepting a deposit for an item, from the section Bradders posted , to me and my understanding of the English language allows the acceptance of a deposit to either hold an item or commission a build. From the posts above it seems as though police forces are choosing to interpret this as severely as possible. As pointed out this would need to go to court for clarification and would likely lead to much debate on the definitions of deposit, purchase , ownership,  etc.

Surely if the legislation was meant to make the taking of a deposit without an authority to purchase it would have been clearly written as such. However in the meantime it would be foolhardy to go against advice received.

Going back to the original post and some of the concerns raised in later replies. Would it not be prudent / possible to.

_ send your fac to the vendors rfd

_vendor arrives at said rfd inspects and fills in your fac, transfers firearm to rfd

_rfd returns fac to purchaser and forwards firearm to purchasers rfd

-purchaser turns up at his rfd with fac and collects firearm

this if viable would address some of the concerns voiced.

18 minutes ago, Artiglio said:

Going back to the original post and some of the concerns raised in later replies. Would it not be prudent / possible to.

_ send your fac to the vendors rfd

_vendor arrives at said rfd inspects and fills in your fac, transfers firearm to rfd

_rfd returns fac to purchaser and forwards firearm to purchasers rfd

-purchaser turns up at his rfd with fac and collects firearm

this if viable would address some of the concerns voiced.

I don't think so, because that causes a gap in the audit trail

Example: I sell a gun to you, but Joe my local dealer enters it onto the license you sent to him....

Who notifies the police, me or him? It's supposed to be me. And if it came from me, then how did it get from me to him? coz I just told the police I sold it to you, but FLMS records the transfer as coming from Joe the RFD to you

6 hours ago, bradders said:

That's not necessary, you only record items onto a licernse, not off of it

Anyone I've had any dealing with, including a few on here have required it. Made no odds to me, so it didn't matter.....

Archived