More so if you have a range finder and wind meter.

could anybody reccomend some basic kit please i.e. wind meters range finders and the like

thanks mark

p.s. how much is exbal to purchase

I think it is worth a go too. I have the nightforce program, which I think is exbal software. you do need a handheld computer if you want to use it in the field otherwise a PC version is available (nightforce).

range finder is also required I have a leica 900 very happy with it.

Windmeters, lots out there and some have loads of features (relevant to long range shooting??). Some of the more experienced long rangers here will be able to shed more light on the relevance of barometric presure, altitude etc to the 500-600 yd shot, maybe if you hunt up a mountain then possibly .

I would buy the program first and have a play with it. Then buy your wind meter later on. kestral 400 is supposed to be very good. I bought wrong with my skywatch xplorer4- its has loads of features but its a pain to use.

good luck

At the least, you need the following:

Exbal programe - £75 (est)

Pocket PC, Palm or PC version - suitable PC, Palm or Pocket PC - budget of your choice.

Windmeter - Ketsrel, Skymate - £70 - £300

Chronograph - £70 - £200

Rifle / scope and suitably accuracte load....

Of course you could substitute Exbal with one of the free downloadable ballistic programmes, to save a bit of cash.

Guest northernchris

The only thing in the list that Andy mentioned is the Crono which you dont really need to set Exbal up as the valadation process will make correction to suit actual POI.That said the crono is invaluable for load dev etc.

Well said Pat

the wind meter will only tell you what the wind is doing at the firing point.

Although the wind at this point of the bullets travel has more effect on it, it still matters what the wind is doing at mid and terminal points.

Trees, grass, even other animals will indicate the direction and strength, but dont forget to take into account landscape features too which also affect the direction locally.

Loads to take in - if the wind is a constant it is "relatively" simple :P , if its gusty, you may as well not bother getting the gun out the bag, if your going beyond 350 or so yds.....

Unless of course you have a spotter and time for multiple shots..

Chris

I'd argue that you need to know at least the ballpark average fps of your loads for any ballistic prog, so a chronograph is necessary.

Yup you fine tune the programme to suit your bullets tragectory but you do that by fudging the BC rather than velocity (well ive found that anyway)

Guest northernchris

Andy

On Exbal go into options and click on tragectory validation and fill in the blanks you will find it tweeks the velocity not the BC.If our man was on a tight budget he would still be able to use Exbal by running shots on targets in 25 or 50 yard stages out to his max range and then crunching the numbers back through the validation option.Something we should do anyway (well i do at least).

So not totally essential on that basis.

Aggreed I always check drops on target out to my max range in 50 mtr stages.

Never onsidered traj validation always "fudged" BC thanks for that tip.

if i want to buy exbal is it a download or cd through the post jobby

or even better a torrent wink wink

My buddy and i got a copy apiece about a month ago.

Despite feeding it all the correct info, as my buddy bought the windmeter, and a mini weather station thingy, also a cosine indicator....its not accurate enough to make a first round hit.It wasn,t accurate enough with my .223 speedy last week, and it put my 6mmbr a full minute out at 400 yards today.

I,m dissapointed in it, and can make more accurate predictions myself, using wind, and range knowledge, gained through experience of the calibre i,m using.

Having said that , Diggle is a weird place. :lol:

Give it time Dave

if like me, you experienecd problems with some calibres and Exbal, I had to mess with the BC to get accurate "real time" shot placement.

Chris advised in an ewarlier post there is an easier way to do this with the programme, also,,,, mate,,,Diggle is another planet really!!

Guest varmartin

One thing to watch out for with Exbal on a PDA.....make sure the `Meters` box has not got a tick in it when you set up the bullet data and target engagement screens !!!

It is easy to do and easier to miss !!

Archived