Moderator blow back

A mate and I were recently out shooting with our .308's. My mate has a Tikka T3 tactical (20" barrel) with an Ase Ultra mod on it. The rifle and my mate usually shoot quite well (around 3/4 of a minute) but on this occasion he got a lot of crud blowing back out of the back of the moderator, down the barrel and onto the scope lens. His group size also shot up to around 2 MOA. Firstly, we checked the mod was tight, then checked the mod seat face and barrel crown for obvious signs of damage. Nothing was really obvious, other than the usual carbon deposits one might expect to see. None the less we gave it a clean and tried again but with the same results (crud blowback and oversize grouping)

Has anyone come across this problem, or anything similar before. Or has anyone any ideas as to possible causes?

My mate and I would really appreciate any relevant feedback you guys might have.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Regards

Triumph 045.

are you reloading and if so are you using imr 8208 xbr powder,only mention this as I had issues in a 308 with this powder ,it was leaving an oil/sooty gunge in the moderator and was very smokey..stopped using that powder and now use n140 and no problems .just my thoughts.

Unless the load has been changed -to some economy nonsequitur-then it might be that the mod has reached the end of serviceable life (we don't know it's history).I'd ask ASE-who do excellent moderators-but be prepared to replace it.LIke barrels,moderators have ultimately to be considered as consumables-and 2moa suggests like ,now...?

gbal

If the barrel thread and shoulder are in good order, and the mod is tight....STOP using it. Its going to let go in fairly short order.

Contact Jackson rifles and they will sort the problem out for you. Their after sales is exemplary.

Thanks fellas,

My mate only uses factory ammo, so don't think ammo is the issue.

Sounds more like the mods had it. I'll pass on your advice to contact Jackson rifles.

Many thanks

Triumph 045.

Archived