Best way to modify Remington 700P

mike82

Guys,

I'm trying to sell my Remington 700 Police atm and change for another .308 type of rifle....

It then has crossed my mind why don't I keep and modify the one I already have, as it’s worth more to me.

Question is what would be the best course of action and typical prices, who would be best to do the work?

I have seen the Armalon PR conversion is there any alternatives?

I would like to change the barrel to around 24" "match grade" and have the action/trigger work done and a magazine conversion carried out.

I like the HS Precision stock so I would want to keep that.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Mike

rebarrel £700

mag conversion £420 ish including mag

new trigger £250

its an expensive route to go if you do it all at once

or sell what you have and keep a look out in the s/h section

don't change the barrel unless it is shot out or wont shoot , have it re-crowned and cleaned properly and borescoped first by someone who knows what they are looking at , possible shorten it a bit ?

then have it bedded into the stock you have at the same time as having an aics kit fitted (magazine conversion) and get the trigger worked on , again by someone who knows his stuff , from experience I would recommend riflecraft but others I'm sure are just as capable ?

Pimping your Remmy is a great way to get the rifle you want but, as 'pork chop' points out - you end up spending £1400 plus the value of your Remmy and, when you come to sell it - as many others have found on this forum - your idea of a custom rifle is just that - it'll be worth little more than the standard PSS. But, your choice.

In my experience, the PSS usually shoots well right 'out of the box' and with good handloads, near half MOA is possible. If you're not using it for serious competition, you could be spending a lot of £££ for very little gain.

The easiest route is usually to drop it in an AI stock, which gives you the mag. conversion and maybe fit a Riflebasix trigger. When you want to move it on, the AI stock will always be saleable and you can put the barrelled-action back into the HSP stock.

Pimping your Remmy is a great way to get the rifle you want but, as 'pork chop' points out - you end up spending £1400 plus the value of your Remmy and, when you come to sell it - as many others have found on this forum - your idea of a custom rifle is just that - it'll be worth little more than the standard PSS. But, your choice.

In my experience, the PSS usually shoots well right 'out of the box' and with good handloads, near half MOA is possible. If you're not using it for serious competition, you could be spending a lot of £££ for very little gain.

The easiest route is usually to drop it in an AI stock, which gives you the mag. conversion and maybe fit a Riflebasix trigger. When you want to move it on, the AI stock will always be saleable and you can put the barrelled-action back into the HSP stock.

That's probably one of the better options, although I wouldn't spend any money on the trigger, as I find the std one more than adequate....especially after a bit of fettling.

But with all that said, a mag conversion is undoubtedly a cheaper option

Archived