Q: About 6BR in a Rem 700 action

young1982

Thanks andrew for the historyand insight.

I have looked at savages a few times and although some say there ugly, certain models i quite like.

If these can cook then maybe the face doesn't matter after all whos looking at the face when ..................;)

How easy on our side of the pond is it to buy ready to fit barrels?

Thanks andrew for the historyand insight.

I have looked at savages a few times and although some say there ugly, certain models i quite like.

If these can cook then maybe the face doesn't matter after all whos looking at the face when ..................;)

How easy on our side of the pond is it to buy ready to fit barrels?

A phone call and a couple of weeks wait, delivered to your door. ~Andrew

What chambered and ready to go?

What about export paperwork if the barrels chambered i.e. not a bit of metal pipe, and all that malarky.

I was referring to the legalities rather than the chance of obtaining one.

Sorry!

I read "our" as "your" -didn't have the glasses on! Frankly, I have no clue as to the legalities of shipping one across the great divide. They seem to change every month or so. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can answer that. We have no "proof-house" requirements here so they just ship them to your door when ready.~Andrew

Andrew as I understand it the chambering makes all the difference.

An inoffensive bit of pipe becomes a lethal weapon with a bit of reamering. Apparently?

I could be wrong.

Cheaply Made? What do you call the Remington 700? An example of the Gun Makers Art? Both have similar construction methods except that Savage did it intelligently. They have interchangeable bolt heads, a real extractor, a collar on the barrel that allows swapping out barrels (adjusting head space) easily should you desire, and at least the damned recoil lug has a stud which locks it with the receiver. ...And the bolt handles aren't brazed onto the bolt bodies. Lastly, as Baldie says, they shoot. All JMHO, of course. ;) ~Andrew

Nope, I just call them unwelcome in my cabinet, as are Savages! Wouldn't have either as a gift. Just Sakos and a couple of Tikkas for me, thanks.

I think that NW Custom sell Savage actions, and barrels (replacement and factory), if you buy a chambered barrel you need either a space on your ticket for it or RFD.

Fitting a barrel to the Savage is very straightforward, providing you have the ring wrench and correct headspace guage - maybe five minutes work.....

WOuld be worth a call to enquire - Vince Bottomley has built an F Class rifle on a Savage for little money, ,,,,,

Archived