Have you ever had a Remington Moment?

hunter686

• 1 month later...

That's an interesting documentary!

A mate of mine took his remington back to the shop as it discharged when he closed the bolt, and I had the same thing a few years ago, as its a routine I can't quite remember how it happened but I'm sure it was when i closed the bolt (luckily we're safety conscious in this country) it was on the bench an the round hit a safe backstop.

The only thing i can think i done differently is closed the bolt and decocked it the last time i put it in the cabinet, I've tried to do it again with snap caps but it's never happened again

safety first second and third!

Had a few in the workshop that would in odd cases fire when going from safe to fire position. In all our cases the triggers were adjusted by the owner.

edi

Badly ajusted triggers - dont start on that one,,,,,,,,,,, :mad:

I've seen it happen on a range. It was due to redneck gunsmithing of the trigger. The rifle failed the bump test. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

I don't think it's unique to Remington but as Remington account for a higher percentage of guns owned, they also account for a higher percentage of issues.

+1 Edi. I've had at least 10 rifles with remy triggers over the last 20 years, fired multiple thousands of rounds and never had any problems, but I have fixed a few triggers that were left unsafe by people trying to lighten them. If you back out either the pull weight screw or the sear engagement screw too far the rifle won't cock at all but if either are left right on the limit you will produce a rifle that will fire closing the bolt, putting the safety off or just rough handling it.

Mike Walker-the original designer of the 700 trigger- advised Rem of a potential,if rare, unintended discharge issue,and an easy fix.

Rem corporately decided not to recall (fix would have been cheap per rifle then-cents,not dollars for part).

The corporate morality is discussable,retrospectively.

Some claim cases were settled out of court,and most had uncertainties of true detail,let alone poor muzzle direction etc-it happens.

As said,there are 5 million plus 700s out there,not all in the best trained hands.

That includes field safety and amateur gunsmithing (aka botching,as posts testify).

Recall/potential failures are not unknown in other makes.

gbal

The problem appears to be with the trigger connector bar, and when I started doing this years ago I was taught by my Gunplumbing mentor in America to attach it to the trigger "blade" permanently.

The trigger weight spring keeps it in place, but if backed off too much meant is can become loose and float, which can lead not only to an inconsistent trigger pull,but also to the condition previously described.

I use silver solder, but I would imagine TiG or even screws would work just as well (it doesn't need much to keep it in place, but it needs something)

Now, I can't speak for other equally cool gunplumbers, but I've never heard of anyone else doing this

C9AAFFC1-AF07-4DBB-ABBE-1E4E318DA980_zps

There is a recall for this even in the UK, details are on the Remington website - at least when I sent mine in - Riflecraft were/are doing it in the UK for Remington , their service was excellent.

Archived