NEW COMPOSITE STOCK

if you can do it correctly mate knock yourself out,but with respct to Andy the last photo posted of a rife bedded was a bit ropey,you will need sto spend a bit more of that stash of yours :D and buy a miller to do a proper real nice job, get hold of a copy of Daral Hollands bedding video,it will open your eyes ;)

Seen it that many times I can receite it... :D

I like the lessons better. ;)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pete

thanks once again for your kind advice, last night I nipped out and used a few more "readies" from my "stash" and got myself a miller :D .

Here it is in use:

Look its milling the trigger guard inlet on the Barnard - if you look closely you may see the rear most pillar is also being trimmed to fit the guard inlet - despite the "pillars looking ropey", the pillar was able to withstand being subjected to the force of the milling tool removing several thousandths untill the inlet depth is perfect. :D

DSCN0939.jpg

I also "whipped up" a recoil lug for the Barnard, it sits in a recess in the B action and is held in place with an M4 bolt (cheers Jay), maybe you will see that the lug has been turned with a 1 degree taper so it comes out from the bedding easily and that the rear section has been milled flat to transfer recoil forces into the stock?

The red material you see is plastecine to fill voids before bedding.

DSCN0948.jpg

Here we see the recoil lug recess that I made with the mill - (please accept my sincere apologies for the poor pillar bond - if you look elswhere in the forum I have explained that ;) )

DSCN0943.jpg

Pete

thanks for the acknowledgment.

I have that particular DVD and several others from the AGI and other sources who have been doing the job for 10's of years.

Every one of them approaches the bedding of an action slightly differently, I have adopted my own way from these master smiths productions - it seems to work and the shot targets reflect that my methods are sound.

Could you advise me where I am going wrong - please bear in mind though, I havent included a step by step "how I do it" sequence in this or the Barnard thread and I am not about to :D;)

Right

This post was put up by edi to display a new product that he`s developing and will undoubtedly be of interest to a lot of members judging by the interest already ;)

None of us can judge the integral build quality from a photo so what I think Pete is trying to say is that superficially the finish of the stock doesn`t match up to his Robertsons which is hardly surprising really considering as its not far out of prototype stage.

The design/finish will undoubtedly change as the product progresses and I`m sure edi will take all opinions on board which could help to improve his product

By the way this stays on track from now on so please take any petty point scoring posts back to the playground :D

Pete's interpretations of gunsmithing builds enlighten me everytime he opens his gob.

JR

Think we should start a new thread about bedding.

There is no VOODOO about bedding it's just physics.

I've done bedding on big industrial machinery, one does the

calculations and that's it.

One could bed a light hard kicking hunting rifle different to a

heavy barreled target job. The type of recoil is different.

Nothing wrong with ronins bedding.

edi

Pete

ive pulled the F Class rifle post as I really cannot be arxxed entering into a discussion about what I have done regarding bedding for anyone else over the past few years - what is has to do with you and why you are so interested in my interests, I don't know - I am happily married mate,, I dont need any close attention from you sweetie :)

Rest assured you wont be getting any "free Devcon" or anything else for that matter and, as I only "play at it" you wouldnt want to use someone as lowly and inesperienced as I anyway.

I really do despair as to the reasonings to you recent posts - as I am sure everyone else is........

Perhaps now would be the time to return to the topic.

• 1 month later...

Spent the weekend in the workshop and tried out some

duracoat. Very nice to work with, except the spray gun clogs

if one hangs around.

Wouldn't be keen on spraying cammo jobs, that's kals area.

For now it's Tactical black and tactical green.

firstduracoat.jpg

My 15 year old son Peter who is involved with the stock making knocked his first

rabbit on friday with the 22-250 at 159m.

DSCN1525.jpg

edi

Hi Edi

I bedded the prototype stock the other day alongside a Mac A1 (which needed pillars)

The fill material in your stock (if I can call it that) is very, very different to Mcmillan and Manners stocks that I am used to. It just wont compress under normal pressure (like action screw torque)

I decided to skim rather than insert pillars because of this.

I had two Howa's side by side to bed and there are differences in manufacturing in the actions, particually on the bottom metal.

The inlet was milled out as per any normal bedding job leaving a high spot on the tang area and the usual wrapped barrel method which alleviates any chance of stress.

Have to say that both stocks turned out very well after curing and clean up.

The action to stock interface is alot tighter (as expected) than unbedded with zero lateral, rotational (twist) or longitudal movement (there was slight movement before)

I took quite a few before and after pics of your stock and will post pics tomorrow as ive been too busy to upload them so far.

Look forward to shooting the rifle in the stock and seeing how it does (the barrelled action is a stock heavy barrelled 22-250 by the way)

No need to open up the barrel channel whatsoever, just a nice gap all round the channel.

Post pics Mon.

Thanks Andrew,

he's very handy with the shotgun, but is after other birds at the moment.

I also enjoy the evenings in the workshop, always good for a laugh.

cut your'e self yet ? Hope you had a good day.

Nemasis,

no website yet, I must actually try write

up the theorie behind the stocks. They are made

totally different. Struture inside is more like an I-beam with

four strong fibre bundles running from front to back at the four

corners. Generally plenty use of carbon fibre rovings that direct

vibration or recoil from lugs into mass of stock. I used to design and build

high speed modell aeroplanes that pulled 30 g's in corners and

easily managed over 200mph. Even the size was similar to a stock.

Technologies often cross over.

Thanks Chris,

bit by bit

edi

Hi Edi

I bedded the prototype stock the other day alongside a Mac A1 (which needed pillars)

The fill material in your stock (if I can call it that) is very, very different to Mcmillan and Manners stocks that I am used to. It just wont compress under normal pressure (like action screw torque)

I decided to skim rather than insert pillars because of this.

I had two Howa's side by side to bed and there are differences in manufacturing in the actions, particually on the bottom metal.

The inlet was milled out as per any normal bedding job leaving a high spot on the tang area and the usual wrapped barrel method which alleviates any chance of stress.

Have to say that both stocks turned out very well after curing and clean up.

The action to stock interface is alot tighter (as expected) than unbedded with zero lateral, rotational (twist) or longitudal movement (there was slight movement before)

I took quite a few before and after pics of your stock and will post pics tomorrow as ive been too busy to upload them so far.

Look forward to shooting the rifle in the stock and seeing how it does (the barrelled action is a stock heavy barrelled 22-250 by the way)

No need to open up the barrel channel whatsoever, just a nice gap all round the channel.

Post pics Mon.

Looking forward to the pictures and result.

the one you have is the first one that popped out of the mould.

In the meantime several details are improving.

edi

As already mentioned by Edi, the stock in the pictures is a protortype and UNCOATED.

I have a had it a few weeks and after being asked to bed it here are the results, the stock will be finished in Duracoat no doubt;

I bedded a Mac A1 alongside Edi's stock (both for Howa's)

As far as ease of use, Edi's stocks do not need pillars inserting, they are very crush resistant, so all I did was skim - the A1 had pillars inserted.

Edi's stock is white / grey

The A1 is sand cammo.

Front recoil lug area (Edi's)

_ASC0067.jpg

Tang area - Edi's - just inserted Devcon mini "pillars" to support tang area. (sorry about pic, havent a flash for this camera and it was failing light when I took the pic)

_ASC0068.jpg

Edi's stock - action fit after bedding

BackupPicsvarious037.jpg

Plan view

BackupPicsvarious034.jpg

Bottom metal after bedding

BackupPicsvarious039.jpg

LHS view

BackupPicsvarious040.jpg

Comparison with Mac A1 with pillars

BackupPicsvarious006.jpg

BackupPicsvarious054.jpg

Any preference?

No, but it was nice not to have to insert pillars and these new stocks are every bit as stiff as any other composite replacement, perhaps more so than the Mcmillan and equal to the Manners :wub:

Maybe due to the way they are built and the layering of fibres, but it certainly is stiffer than the Mcmillan.

Archived