Trigger for RPA Quadlite - advice please

Dr.T.

Hi all,

I am thinking about swapping my RPA 2-stage trigger for a single stage.

Does anyone know if Jewell (BR) or Kelby triggers fit directly to an RPA quadlite action, or whether some form of "hanger/adaptor" is needed? I've been trawling through google and can't find anything conclusive.

Many thanks in advance.

I have 2 RPA quadlites both with standard "blue" trigger.

I can adjust both to work as either 2 stage or single stage.

I have my target RPA single stage 6ozs and my hunting 2 stage 1.5lbs

Might be worth having a play with it before splashing out.

Yep as Jay1 says you can adjust out first stage on the RPA "Blue" trigger quite easily. Either study a cutaway diagram of how the trigger works and adjust externally or if your brave enough undo the two retaining screws and lift the inspection plate carefully to reveal workings,,watch out for tiny space washers.Some parts are under spring pressure but don't usually fly apart on merely lifting the plate,,,A relube of contact areas is well worth doing as well,,,,take care,,,O

Thanks Onehole and Jay, that's very helpful.

I had previously "converted" it to a rather nice single stage, but reverted to double stage because I assumed this would be safer (considering that it's sold as a 2-stage). Sounds like (yet) more playing is in order!

Thanks again

Thanks Onehole and Jay, that's very helpful.

I had previously "converted" it to a rather nice single stage, but reverted to double stage because I assumed this would be safer (considering that it's sold as a 2-stage). Sounds like (yet) more playing is in order!

Thanks again

H,,,,,I will mention that RPA don,t recommend the triggers use as a single stage and can understand their concern as yiou are effectively removing the ist stage which is in itself a safety stage that keeps sears fully engaged.In single stage you are relying on a knife edge contact only,,,,,take extreme care ,,,,,O

Thanks Onehole - on that basis, I think I'll leave the RPA trigger as a 2-stage!

That's ok,,,thought I would mention it as it is mentioned in their technical notes but realistically I believe all single stage triggers only rely on a knife edge contact but are probably more securely set,and generally work with higher let off weights in factory settings and have some measurable creep ,,,that we all hate!!,,,,cheers ,,,O

What I discovered while "playing"with mine is - if you adjust with the bolt closed (chamber cleared), keep lightening (1/16 turns) and firing - when you go too light and pull the trigger it will not fire, from there back off 1/8 of a turn and you well in the safety zone. A small dot of loctite should prevent it from "self adjusting".

Be sure to give it all the safety checks before applying loctite and using in the field / range.

What I discovered while "playing"with mine is - if you adjust with the bolt closed (chamber cleared), keep lightening (1/16 turns) and firing - when you go too light and pull the trigger it will not fire, from there back off 1/8 of a turn and you well in the safety zone. A small dot of loctite should prevent it from "self adjusting".

Be sure to give it all the safety checks before applying loctite and using in the field / range.

Mmmm ,,,I think the RPA bolt with short stroke fast lock time probably exerts quite high pressure and demand from its trigger mechanism hence it locking up when playing with a closed bolt? In two stage they can still be a bit fiddly to set really nice,,,I,ve three RPA,s now but used to have four and all triggers felt very good but again all slightly different ,,,one is exceptional and have never been able to get as good a feel in the others no matter what I do!? Never mind they are sweet enough,,,,,,,,O

Dr.T,

I've used a variety of triggers on my Quadlite, Rifle Basix and Jewell, designed for the Rem 700, which pinned to the hanger functioned perfectly, the RPA blue and currently the Centra as supplied by Shooting Shack, the latter again, requiring a hanger The latter two can be used as single or two stage, the former two are single stage only. The other posters are correct in what they say about RPA not recommending it be adjusted to single stage but if you know how to adjust them they can safely be used in this manner and by the way if you open them up, nothing will fly out! The Centra is so much better than the RPA it's like comparing a stock Rem 700 trigger with a Jewell, it's almost as good but I can't quite adjust mine down to the weight of the Jewell, however the crispness and consistency are just as good in single stage mode. There is also the Australian Davies trigger which can be used single or two stage and Adam Davies ships to the UK. I have one on a Barnard S which would also fit directly on to the Quadlite without the hanger although I can't say I've ever used it on my Quad. I would say out of all these triggers the RPA was by far the worst, in the end I flogged it off cheap having tried it for a couple of months. The only down side to the Centra was the god awful trigger shoe but they take the Anschutz trigger blades which are only about twelve quid and look far better in my opinion. Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Richard.

Mmmm ,,,I think the RPA bolt with short stroke fast lock time probably exerts quite high pressure and demand from its trigger mechanism hence it locking up when playing with a closed bolt? In two stage they can still be a bit fiddly to set really nice,,,I,ve three RPA,s now but used to have four and all triggers felt very good but again all slightly different ,,,one is exceptional and have never been able to get as good a feel in the others no matter what I do!? Never mind they are sweet enough,,,,,,,,O

The first I got was to make an FTR rifle with - plan was to rebarrel, discard the stock and replace the trigger. 1:10 twist 32in barrel went on, rail for bipod while I thought about a stock, adjusted the trigger and never looked back, fell in love with the stock and the trigger is a crisp 6oz.

RPAs are top class!

Dr T,

just re-read your post again. I got a hanger with my Quadlite which allows Rem 700 style triggers, including the Kelbly to be fitted. I bought it as an action only about 12 years ago, before they made their own 'blue' trigger so maybe they don't supply this anymore, especially if you purchase a complete rifle, unless you can buy the hanger separately. Maybe this hanger is what Mik is talking about.

Richard.

The first I got was to make an FTR rifle with - plan was to rebarrel, discard the stock and replace the trigger. 1:10 twist 32in barrel went on, rail for bipod while I thought about a stock, adjusted the trigger and never looked back, fell in love with the stock and the trigger is a crisp 6oz.

RPAs are top class!

Jay1,

You must have got a better trigger than mine because the best I could get it safely down to was 12ozs but not very consistently and not very crisp. The Centra is a very consistent 8ozs and breaking glass.

Richard.

Jay1,

You must have got a better trigger than mine because the best I could get it safely down to was 12ozs but not very consistently and not very crisp. The Centra is a very consistent 8ozs and breaking glass.

Richard.

I could be wrong but I think there's 2 different "blue" triggers, one is 1.5 - 4lbs and the other lighter - not sure of the adjustment range. Seems I've been lucky enough to get 2 good uns!! :D Honestly though - if I was giving a choice of triggers to replace it for free I wouldn't bother.

Adjusted as 2 stage is "crisper" alright but side by side with my mates Jewell it gives nothing up.

Going with Jay,,,,,I,m happy with my "Blue" light operating two stage triggers ,,,have not measured let off weights but totally predictable no creep no issues but if I had I would certainly be investigating the "hanger" and jewell set up,,,,can someone tell me if and where you can still get the hanger and trigger system please,,,,thanks,,O

Hi Guys,

At Jackson Rifles we have the trigger hangers to accept 'Remington hook up' triggers and we also have the replacement top levers for Jewell triggers but unfortunately no Jewell's. The models required would be an HVRTS for top safety HVRS for bottom safety or HVR no safety.

I must stress that the design of the RPA Quadlight was flawed. The action did not work consistently with Remington style triggers as the sear engagement was too fine. My design of a replacement top lever which gives the required sear engagement is a safe option however as a result of failures RPA changed the action design. The newer receivers no longer have the correct inlet to allow the fitting of a Remmy style trigger with hanger. A competent gunsmith could mill the action to accept one.

The older actions that work have an inlet of around 45mm under the trigger. The newer ones that don't work (Or would need machining) have a much smaller inlet. I think it's about 10mm or so.

Before you start with: 'oh but mine works... you're talking B@ll*%s'.

Some tolerances gave adequate engagement to stop the triggers from failing.

My advice is do a simple test...

1. Run a marker pen over the back of the trigger top lever, cycle the bolt to make a mark.

2. Measure the 'Vertical' engagement from the start of the mark the bolt makes to the highest point on the top lever.

3. Measure the top lever depression on the trigger. (This is the amount the trigger top lever can be depressed from it's resting position to the point the sears are engaged and the lever becomes solid) This is because your mark will likely show where the trigger is in its up most position.

4. Subtract the depression of the top lever from the engagement and this is the engagement you have in the cocked position. Yes it's a little crude but it's any easy home test.

All the best, and safe shooting

Dennis

Dennis,

Yes, I agree to some extent with your comments on the Quadlite as the first trigger I tried with mine was a Shilen, I completely forgot about that one, and it wouldn't work at all. I even sent the action with trigger to Fultons and back to RPA but neither could get it to function correctly so I ended up swapping it out for a standard Rem trigger I had on a 40X which worked perfectly. About that time I was offered a second hand Rem trigger from a Diggle Dolloper which had been modified to a three lever design by somebody and that also worked perfectly on the Quadlite. I used that trigger for a few years until I decided I wanted something in the 2ozs region. Maybe as well as the design the tolerances varied on the actions a bit.

Richard.

There is no question about it the tolerances did vary. It's a well know fact. They are good actions but even RPA themselves recognized the problem and changed the design.

Archived