new barrel/caliber on the AE MK3

joshmartin8

i am considering a change on my Accuracy and would like to swap caliber to something a little more wind friendly than the 308 24inch i have on it now, considering the 6.5 260 in 26inch from sporting services, can i pick the communities knowledge on if this is going to be the best option, I am looking to push past 1000 one day and use it for target and long range, I'm not looking to go big for massive recoil so 338 lovers need not comment :) thanks guys

A .260 is a sound choice for down here, especially if you want to shoot it at Millpool, as most of the 7mm's fall over the 4,500j limit.

Main choice really is if you want a 24" or 26" & fluted or unfluted. Nothing really in it (well 50-75fps maybe), more a cosmetic choice - Personally I'd go 26" fluted.

Once you get it you must drop down to the Roundhouse and properly stretch it legs out to 1,500 or so....

Josh,

the 260 or 6.5x47 will do you just fine. Use the same profile as the original AI (which is medium Palma) in 24-25" gives accuracy and sensible weight.

Both rounds will go to 1000 + and are noticeably better than the 308, which is good and forgiving, but a 'glittery brick' in comparison. :)

Give me a shout when you're back and you can try mine, not an AI but 6.5x47.

T

AI do a 26" fluted barrel chambered in 6.5x47L which is just a straight swap for your barrel onto the AE. Like many other shooters on here I can recommend the 6.5. Outstanding accuracy and great ballistics.

A .260 is a sound choice for down here, especially if you want to shoot it at Millpool, as most of the 7mm's fall over the 4,500j limit.

Main choice really is if you want a 24" or 26" & fluted or unfluted. Nothing really in it (well 50-75fps maybe), more a cosmetic choice - Personally I'd go 26" fluted.

Once you get it you must drop down to the Roundhouse and properly stretch it legs out to 1,500 or so....

i would stick to an unfluted barrel, thanks i certainly will tiff,

Josh,

the 260 or 6.5x47 will do you just fine. Use the same profile as the original AI (which is medium Palma) in 24-25" gives accuracy and sensible weight.

Both rounds will go to 1000 + and are noticeably better than the 308, which is good and forgiving, but a 'glittery brick' in comparison. :)

Give me a shout when you're back and you can try mine, not an AI but 6.5x47.

T

yeah i am torn between the two 260 or 6.5x47. thanks terry i appreciate it,

AI do a 26" fluted barrel chambered in 6.5x47L which is just a straight swap for your barrel onto the AE. Like many other shooters on here I can recommend the 6.5. Outstanding accuracy and great ballistics.

think i need to go shoot both the 260 and 6.5x47 and see any difference if the there is any,

Is there much to be gained from the 260 with added fps at extended ranges????

Both work well in the AI platform (I have a .260). A friend of mine had one in 6.5x47 and it shot beautifully but be careful of piercing primers - you must use CCI BR's or mags - standard 400's or softer types will pierce due to the unsupported area of primer around the bolt face. Yours and others experience may vary but this was certainly the case with his rifle (AW).

Why not go down the .284 route, 308 bolt face, reasonable barrel life and brass life,

you will get 2850 fps from the 180grn 7mm hybrids if you are happy to use a 30'' barrel., it will out shoot any of the 6.5s in windy conditions, no recoil to speak of.

Quite a number of F class matches have bee won with it including the worlds.

Hello,

What bullet weight will you use?

.260 is better with 140grns but the 6.5x47 is fab with 123grn bullets.

So if its the longer ranges you want then .260 would be suited and they use the large primers so you should not get problems with primers.

Merry Christmas :-)

Phil

If its a barrel in a non factory AI calibre, even from sporting services, i would want to know who chambered it, i think Paddy does their screwcutting (and he's ok!) but you might find their barrels are chambered by someone else.

Any reputable gunsmith on here can do a barrel for the AE.

I seem to remember it shooting glittery bricks pretty well the last time it went to the roundhouse..

If its a barrel in a non factory AI calibre, even from sporting services, i would want to know who chambered it, i think Paddy does their screwcutting (and he's ok!) but you might find their barrels are chambered by someone else.

Any reputable gunsmith on here can do a barrel for the AE.

I seem to remember it shooting glittery bricks pretty well the last time it went to the roundhouse..

thanks gary was hoping you would see this and say a few words, its still performing great and can't fault it really but as more knowledge and learning about different calls as I'm new to it in the grand scale of things i fancy a 6.5 with less recoil than the 308, hows your 6.5 performing now,still rinsing the brass..?

Archived