London council issues advice on shooting foxes

FreeFall

I agree, and I'm also concerned that anyone reading this article might assume it was OK to shoot foxes in an urban environment without the appropriate licence.............

H/man

I agree, and I'm also concerned that anyone reading this article might assume it was OK to shoot foxes in an urban environment without the appropriate licence.............

H/man

Usual gun licences aside which "licence" is that?

H/man

Elaborate on which licence that would be please, as i know of no such licence needed, except the appropriate firearms/shotgun certificate.

Adrian

I'm a target shooter, and I wasn't aware that simply holding an FAC would cover use of a firearm in an urban environment apart from an indoor small-bore range.

Is it possible to get permission to shoot stuff in your backyard if you live in a town, then?

I was turned down for a .22 and only allowed a shotgun on 600 acres years ago, because a public footpath bordered the land.

H/man

You can legally shoot in your garden as long as your pellet/ bullet/ shotgun pellets don't leave your property, though I suspect neighbours will be quick to complain about the noise or they've "seen" an armed man lurking in the garden then you'll get a knock on the door from an ARV.

I'm a target shooter, and I wasn't aware that simply holding an FAC would cover use of a firearm in an urban environment apart from an indoor small-bore range.

Is it possible to get permission to shoot stuff in your backyard if you live in a town, then?

I was turned down for a .22 and only allowed a shotgun on 600 acres years ago, because a public footpath bordered the land.

H/man

All as Andybrock says, plus, as long as you have the appropriate species condition on your certificate you can shoot in an urban area with the land owners permission, For eg a problem fox in a back garden, as long as it is safe. usually a call to your local licencing force to tell them what you will be doing and when is advisable, and also a quiet word with any neighbours maybe in order. I have accounted for many foxes in built up areas, using a moderated .22lr, as long as you are sensible and considerate, there is seldom a problem.

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

I still come across people who think they can shoot foxes because they have 'vermin' on their certificate, i also come across people (one specific pair of clowns who run a pest control company in London, theirin lies the clue) who will happily kill vixens with no regard for their young during the season.

I love this bit ("Shooting is not usually appropriate in urban areas, but where it is carried out, care must be taken to ensure the safety of the public and other wildlife,”) are they stupid or something?

I still come across people who think they can shoot foxes because they have 'vermin' on their certificate, i also come across people (one specific pair of clowns who run a pest control company in London, theirin lies the clue) who will happily kill vixens with no regard for their young during the season.

I love this bit ("Shooting is not usually appropriate in urban areas, but where it is carried out, care must be taken to ensure the safety of the public and other wildlife,”) are they stupid or something?

I know exatly who you mean and yes they seem very unprofessional, a quick read of their web site tells you all you need to know!!!

Archived