N140 ?

Hillhunter

Has any one used n140 with the berger 185's ? I have a. 32 inch barrel , 1/12 twist , 308 , I am getting brilliant results with this powder with the 155's , but I would like to try the 185,s , hoping they would be accurate out to 1000 yards, what speed to I need to achieve ?

I was looking at a similar scenario and was recommended n150 for the 185's. I've not started load work up yet, but was told in the region of 46gr +. I was going to try for 2750, but I think that's a little optimistic with my 26" barrel (yours would do better though I'm sure)

If I remember correctly Laurie commented on this at length not long ago - concluding that 185s work best with Vit 150 rather than 140.

With a 32 inch barrel, you should get over 2800fps with the 185/150 combination.

You can use N140, but it's too fast burning to get much over 2,700 fps unless you run seriously high (ie over) pressures. Unless you have an exceptionally long throated barrel, your max N140 load is ~44gn in RWS or standard (large primer) Lapua brass, another grain weight in Winchester or Norma.

N150 is better suited to this combination allowing 2-2.5gn heavier loads depending on the barrel internal dimensions and chamber set-up. If you really want to play with the big boys in the wind, N550 is the one to use as it it'll take you comfortably beyond 2,800 fps. However, neither case nor barrel life will be sparkling with 2,800 + fps loads.

Better still use N550 with Lapua 'Palma' small primer brass. The case life at least is good with this combination and results should be very good too.

Hillhunter

Laurie's advice is as usual, spot on. I switch this season to Palma brass and pressure issues have disappeared with 185g Bergers and N150. I lost 32th of throat using N550 and fps was only marginally increased. I have just load developed using RS52 and it is better. 2900fps is possible with care. Start low and build up slowly.

Archived