Ideal gunsmithing lathe ?

John UK

38mm through bore, power feed, short headstock,

They'd be some of the things I'd be looking for if I was buying a lathe for gunsmithing, it depends on you budget though!

For example if I won the lottery and set myself up as a gunsmith I'd have a dean smith and grace for manual turning and a mazak integrex 300iv for everything else!

Suggest that unless the Colchester or Harrison has had a complete overhauls or you KNOW its provenance you could be buying trouble.

I looked at 15 + lathes of this type and concluded that used lathes are similar to buying used "one careful owner" cars,, they are a rarity.....

I settled on a GH1330 toolroom lathe with a DRO and various other mods - its been perfect so far for my own work.

As Paddy said a Harrison 300 long bed will do whatever you want. If your running a three phase machine from a convertor you would be better off with a lathe that uses a clutch instead of direct on line starting in which case I'd go for a Colchester Master 2500. Its easy enough to spot a dog but you will have to look at a few before you find a good one. Lots of tooling available for Colchesters, I'd buy an Anjest screwcutting attachment before a DRO. Having gone to court with Warco [and won] over quality issues not keen on Chinese machines.

Yes I have. A good one is an excellent lathe but they are quite long through the headstock and if you intend clambering short barrels you may end up having to get creative with your work holding or chamber between centres. I've also used Harrison's and colchesters, both good lathes just find a good one or ask someone else to look at it if you have no experience. Also whilst by no means essential once you've used dro you will not want to use a machine with out one fitted.

Yes I have. A good one is an excellent lathe but they are quite long through the headstock and if you intend clambering short barrels you may end up having to get creative with your work holding or chamber between centres. I've also used Harrison's and colchesters, both good lathes just find a good one or ask someone else to look at it if you have no experience. Also whilst by no means essential once you've used dro you will not want to use a machine with out one fitted.

Hi,headstock is long compaired to the M300 .Would have to make an inboard spider /jig for the shorter barrels .Is that be a bad trade-off to the smaller M300 lathe ?

John.

No not necessarily. Some would argue that the bulk and weight (and DSGs are very heavy) of the DSG is a benefit and helps reduce vibration/chatter. Like others have said the main thing to look for is a machine in good condition otherwise machining accuracy will be compromised. Basically try to find a machine that will do all you require with a bit of spare capacity for the one off jobs you never though of.

try a HOLBROOK H=15 if you can find one, like all second hand lathes make sure you buy one which is well equiped.

Hi

I have been looking at the Warco GH1232 Lathe, and the Warco WM-290V-F Variable Speed Lathe has eny one have eny experience with warco lathes,

I settled on a GH1330 toolroom lathe with a DRO and various other mods - its been perfect so far for my own work.

I have a Boxford industrial 250 and it does all I need. Just looking at Ronins lathe I wonder if the Warco units are modelled off the Boxford as not only is mine the same colour green but most of the features, gear change etc are very similar.

I'm thinking of fitting a DRO on mine as they do make life so much easier, has anybody got any comments on makes to avoid or recommend etc?

Eldon, I put one of these on a Colchester triumph about 12 months ago and its been very good with no issues. Take time to fit them properly and use a clock to ensure they run parallel to the ways and you'll be fine.

http://www.gtprecision.co.uk/

One thing, I didn't like the some of the mounting brackets so I ended up modifying them to make them stronger but other than that it was plain sailing and they were very helpful when I phone for technical info.

Archived