Calibers

chester

Gents

Been a long, long week and probably a silly question :mellow:

How do the wildcat cartridges work in relation to your FAC paperwork

Does a TAC 20 go on the paperwork as a 20 calibre :huh:

6mmBR go down as 6mm :lol:

As the 6mmBR is based on a 308 brass, what makes the 6mm a 6mm, if its the bullet diameter then thats the same as a 243mm :P

Cheers

Chester

Its all down to Vemincinarator sending pictures of his cooper rifle

A few years back you could get away with stating the bullet diameter which was a lot easier but it looks like the old bill have stopped this in most areas insisting on specific calibres

For example I had permission to purchase a 22 centrefire,6mm centrefire and 30 cal centrefire which covered a multitude of calibres :mellow:

I have heard of some RFD`s that will sell ackley versions just on the permission of a standard though :lol:

I had lengthy and unfruitful discussions with the plod on this one before bottoming out the issue (I think).

The Home Office guidance to the police explicitly says that slots must not be for calibres (e.g. '22 calibre') but must be for chamberings (e.g. 223 Remington, 22-250, etc). The guidance doesn't say why but there it is! So your variation must say which chambering you want. If it's a wildcat then FLMS might not have it recorded on the computer list of options which gives rise to some difficulties.

In my case I argued for an 'open' 22 calibre slot but my Firearms Licensing Dept wouldn't budge an inch. So I asked them for 22BR and the slot came back described as '22 centrefire' which was exactly what I'd asked them for and they said I couldn't have.

When I bought the rifle from Norman Clark I asked him whether he would have sold me any 22 centrefire. He said he would but only after checking with me that I'd applied for the chambering being purchased. He would then be in the clear himself but if I'd used my '22 centrefire' slot to buy, say, a 22-250 I could potentially be in the poo.

Still, it all makes for a safer world.

Cornishman

Sorry about that chester,

Apart for the .22 C/F which i specified as a 22-250 (22-250 AI acyually) i have all of my slots down as calibres not cartridges ie. 6mm, .25 Cal, .270 Cal, .300 Cal and .338 Cal.

However it should be entered on to your FAC as the Cartridge.

I too have never had any problems with this system and have always had my slots listed in this way.

It gives you a wider choice of cartridge designations of the same calibre to look at when thinking of buying for instsnce a 300 cal.

Ian.

Archived