Thinking of getting a PCP air rifle ?

LONG RANGE CAPT

Im currently thinking of getting a left handed PCP multi shot air rifle and know little about them in terms of build quality and reliability.

The two main reason for getting one are to practice my shooting fundamentals at home and also for a bit of pest control.

I'd be keen to get the thoughts of those more experienced than myself in the use of PCP left handed air rifles.

Kind Regards

Rob

the theoben rapid range are excellent rob very accurate with a superb trigger , and also the weihrauch how 100's are stonking for the money may I also suggest .20 cal flat fast and inherently accurate mate . there are others as the guys will no doubt attest to but I've experience with both and wouldn't hesitate to recommend either , the 100's are also easily tuneable :rolleyes:

Im currently thinking of getting a left handed PCP multi shot air rifle and know little about them in terms of build quality and reliability.

The two main reason for getting one are to practice my shooting fundamentals at home and also for a bit of pest control.

I'd be keen to get the thoughts of those more experienced than myself in the use of PCP left handed air rifles.

Kind Regards

Rob

Hi Rob,

There are very few true left handers in the air rifle world, most just have lefthand stocks and you nearly always have to pay extra! I think (maybe wrong) that Daystate's have reversible bolts so it can be on the left side.

I've always had Theobens which are great rifles other top brands are Daystate, Weihrauch, Ripley and Air Arms amongst others.

Price wise expect to pay between £600 - £1200 for new then you will obviously need a scope and charging equipment which will put at least another £350 on the price with a 300bar 12 litre bottle.

Andy

Hi Rob

I wouldn't look any further than an Air arms S410 in .177. Had mine for about six years now superbly accurate, whisper quiet. I did have it regulated and tuned but I don't think you'd needto go to that extreme with one of the new ones

Bolt is even on the right side as well ;)

Regards

Rich

Most PCP airguns will out shoot us It really is just a case of seeing what fits you As said above the HW100 is excellent .as is the AA 400 410 510 Rapids if bought used tend to have been messed with to up the power levels as it is very easy to do .I would go for .177 for sub 12 ftlb and .22 for FAC I did have a 50 FTLB .25 and for a PCP had some serious thump .

Mick

i just recently bought one and i am a left hander too .....but went right handed route....even tho all my rifles are true lefties

i share a crack ing old titan single shot .177 with other family members ...id been hankering for a 10 shot for no other reason than i wanted one.....

after realising what i wanted i couldnt justify hundreds near a thousand on likes hw100 etc

did a bit of digging on the hatsan at-44 10 shot........dinnae laugh...its ace!!!!!

i got mine new for 280 quid

comes with synthetic ambidextrous thumbhole stock ..which to be honest if i could get to fit my cz452 .22lr leftie i would source one!!

2 x 10 shot rotary mags which are 25 quidish a pop on there own

pressure gauge in the end of pressure chamber

and the fill adapter ( you still need a bottle clamp and hose to fit to it)

ill be honest i just bought mine for plinking and couldnt justify bigger money

i bought a cheap non brand sound mod from the shop it fitted straight on and is quiet for 30 quid

a bsa cheap 3x9x40 scope complete with single block mount for bout 45 quid

and a slip so all in a and a tin of .22 pellets i was around 350 quid

and up and running ( i all ready have few dive cylinders from my diving)

yes 2nd hand s410 are beautiful as is hw 100 etc but i can not fault this little hatsan at-44 if like me you were on a "budget"

couple of folks screwed their face up but once had a shot......one of em went obught one for plinking....his wife moaned....now he canna get it off her...its her rifle...he bought one of those metal boxes with the knock down targets in it then hit centre one to reset!!!

paul

Budget ???? I know the Hatsan pumps with a drypac filter will add £100 to whatever budget you have.

I have a HW 100 in .177, and have recently had it serviced through the AirGun Centre in Rayleigh. Hull Cartridge turned it around in a week. Excellent service all round.

If you are after weight and a great balance combined with bulletproof engineering and a match trigger to deliver superb accuracy, then it gets my vote.

I did have a llok at the BSA R10 Mark II recently. Lovely detailing.

You will have to pick some up and get the feel of them. Too much choice but ask around and there are three or four rifles which always come out on top for good reason.

David,

"Budget ???? I know the Hatsan pumps with a drypac filter will add £100 to whatever budget you have."

sorry bud that quote went way over my head ...are you referring to pumps as in a hand pump to recharge the rifle?

if so then ok...but i would still advocate a charging cylinder and a whip over the hand pump every time....i tried a hand pump once ....jesus H christ!!!

youd end up looking like Stallone on steroids!!! hehehehe

if not ill shut up.

id have loved to buy a HW100 but my point was i bought this gun new with 3yr warranty and the scope the slip the mounts the silencer everything you need for around £360,,, NEW

alot of didgy 2nd hand stuff out there and i had ...hopefully piece of mind buying new and even the 2nd hand hw100 i have seen which are beautiful are still more

its no stunning beauty but it does what it says on the tin so to speak....

i just found i have an ccasional work colleague that does a bit of comps etc with pcp and he has 7 or 8 pcp rifle and they are all top end....but he bought one of these too ...he says he doesnt know why....but its shoots comparable to his top end rifles

paul

I was responding to Rob with regards to his budget - A second hand AA 200 can be had for 200 and it is superb, but small.

I never have a problem with the hand pump as I never let the pressure fall our of the green markings on the gauge.

As for my own choice, have had Rapids, Daystates, a Ripley XL9, an FX - very light front end and just like the HW - when do you ever shoot more than 50 shots when out lamping ? (yes,we all have !!!)

I couldn't get on with my Rapid. Horrible thing! Cumbersome great front heavy lump that I had to carry a spare bottle seal for. It would dump all its air if you didn't insert the bottle a certain way, you never knew how much air was in it and the bipod mount is up by the trigger unless you get one that clamps onto the bottle, but then you can't get the bottle off to fill it!!!

I replaced it with a regulated Fx Cyclone running 28ft/lb, which also switches down to 12ft/lb. Superb bit of kit that I really can't fault in any way. It has been serviced once in 8 years and accounted for many bunnies. I carry a 3 litre bottle in the car but seldom need more than the 45 regulated shots the FX gives me.

The Rapid was very accurate when I could keep air in it but I can't tell you what a relief it was to move it on.

I would look for an AA410 as they sold a lot of lefties. Bargains to be had in FaC as there is limited market but would deff. go for .177 in sub 12ft/lb for the flatter trajectory.

Rup (hater of airguns with big bottle up front)

I have a LPE .22 its got a decent size buddy bottle but the threads are worn due to a lot of use as these are brass into a steel action. My next pcp will be fixed res .177 manual multi shot for ease of building (just need to replace lead screw on lathe)

But if I was going to buy one it would be an Air arms S400/410 I've just fixed one for a mate the previous owner had "tuned it"!! easy to work on full set of seals and bolts under £20 took about an hour to strip and rebuild plenty of videos on youtube if you need them. Loads of Rowan go faster bits if you want them.

I was in my local gunshop and they had a good choice from £200 second hand, if you can go try them for size because there seems to be a wide range of sizes you'll find one that fits I'm sure.

forgot to add just a pin to move to make a right hand bolt a left hand one ambidextrous stocks are fitted to some already.

Archived