Merits of a 6.5x55 over 6.5x55AI

Millwall Paul

I'm getting to the point now where I fancy a change in calibre and was thinking of having my 6.5x55 Sako 75 rebarrelled and was wondering about a change of calibre. How much better is the AI version of the 6.5x55? I don't really want to get rid of the rifle as I love the way it handles and shoots as well as the action. The rifle will be used for deer stalking primarily with the odd bit of varminting and target shooting. The main deer that I shoot is roe and muntjac and occasionally fallow. Otherwise what other calibre would people recommend for this action? Any experiences would be greatly recieved in this minefield.

thanks

Paul

I supose you might gain a little extra velocity over the standard case but with the hassle of fireforming and losing a bit of barrel life along the way. Plus you are going to need a very long barrel to get the most out of the cartridge.

Is it really worth it for mostly stalking? A 6.5x284 might be easier option.

Just my 2p

Garry

I think the Swede bolt face is different from the .308 family?

So you are probably stuck with a 6.5x55 saying that a new custom tube in this flavour will certainly improve things.

For what you are doing not sure the AI version will be much of an advantage.

As said you will need to fireform and you will need to buy a new die set.

Cheers

Dave

if your heart is set on changing then this isn't what your going to want to hear, the set up you have will do everything you ask of it and more! the 6.5 swede is a great calibre and has been for a very long time with good reason.

if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket try up scopeing or getting the rifle bedded or even rebarreled but i would only rebarrel if it wasn't a shooter.

you could maybe find a smith to set your barrel back and rechamber in AI but it may cost you a reamer because a lot of smiths are reluctent to risk a reamer,apparently it's riskier due to a lack of support or something (makes sense)this would tell you if you can put up with the faff and if the gain is worth it?

just my tuppence , born of a lot of expensive experience doing things like you are thinking about !

Russ

I can't see the benefits outweighing the hassle on a stalking rifle. On a long-barrel match job, there are benefits - some people regard 6.5X55AI as better than 6.5-284 Norma in this role. That is because 6.5-284 has more case capacity than is normally needed or used, standard 5.5X55mm is a little short on capacity, but AI is the Goldilocks version - just right for a 139-142gn bullet with slow burning powders.

The last time I looked you still couldn't get off the shelf dies for the AI version. This stopped me going down that route a year ago when I rebarrelled a factory Savage 12 F Class rifle to 6.5X55mm. I really fancied the AI version, but custom dies or 'rechambering' already expensive Redding competition dies put me off. That's the way most 6.5X55AI users get their dies - buy the Redding Comp variety and rechamber the relatively soft sliding sleeves to the new case shape.

Having said that the AI is almost an optimised 6.5-284, you only get 6.5-284 barrel life if you use all the avilable performance all the time.

I'm getting to the point now where I fancy a change in calibre and was thinking of having my 6.5x55 Sako 75 rebarrelled and was wondering about a change of calibre. How much better is the AI version of the 6.5x55? I don't really want to get rid of the rifle as I love the way it handles and shoots as well as the action. The rifle will be used for deer stalking primarily with the odd bit of varminting and target shooting. The main deer that I shoot is roe and muntjac and occasionally fallow. Otherwise what other calibre would people recommend for this action? Any experiences would be greatly recieved in this minefield.

thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

The Ackley Improved version of the 6.5x55 was covered in some depth in Precision Shooting Magazine a few years ago, if I can find my copy I will let you know. Ackley himself reckoned that the Swede was already an efficient design and there were many other cartridges far more deserving of being 'improved'. As far as I can remember from the article there was a modest improvement in performance and an increase in flexibility. If I can find the article I will post details here,

Best regards

Alan

Ackley himself reckoned that the Swede was already an efficient design and there were many other cartridges far more deserving of being 'improved'. [Gunsgobang88]

While I'm sure that's not far off the case, you've got to remember that the burning rate range of powders available to the handloader has increased dramatically since Ackley's time. IMR-4350 was the slowest burner available to P.O. for much of the time he was experimenting and gunsmithing and he says somewhere in one of his 'handbooks' that it's slower burning than any application can ever make use of fully - a view that we would now regard as downright odd!

I use Viht N165 in my 140gn match loads in the standard version of the cartridge and the AI would just give that little bit of extra room to get the load up to the 2,950 fps zone that is regarded as desirable for long-range use with these bullets. As it is I end up around 50 fps short. I have had the 139gn Scenar up to nearly 3,000 fps with N160, but that's pushing the standard cartridge far too much.

While I'm sure that's not far off the case, you've got to remember that the burning rate range of powders available to the handloader has increased dramatically since Ackley's time. IMR-4350 was the slowest burner available to P.O. for much of the time he was experimenting and gunsmithing and he says somewhere in one of his 'handbooks' that it's slower burning than any application can ever make use of fully - a view that we would now regard as downright odd!

I use Viht N165 in my 140gn match loads in the standard version of the cartridge and the AI would just give that little bit of extra room to get the load up to the 2,950 fps zone that is regarded as desirable for long-range use with these bullets. As it is I end up around 50 fps short. I have had the 139gn Scenar up to nearly 3,000 fps with N160, but that's pushing the standard cartridge far too much.

bit off topic buthave you tried/had any sucess with the vit 5 series powders ? my 260 loves N560

bit off topic buthave you tried/had any sucess with the vit 5 series powders ? my 260 loves N560

I'm just at the start of working loads up for .260 Rem and 6.5X55mm. I've had good results, but not the best seen to date, with N550 in the 260 with the 123gn Scenar and N560 in 6.5X55 with the 139gn Scenar. So far the outstanding 123 load in my 260 used N150, but I've got a lot more work to do on both cartridges over the winter, so we'll see what we see!

Thanks for all the advice. I know the swede is a great calibre, I just fancied a change. But I suspect you are all more than right in saying the AI probably isn't worth the hassle for a stalking rifle. The rifle still shoots very well at the moment, but every time I give it a really good scrub out it will take approximately 10 - 15 rounds to get it grouping well, which it never used to before. That said once it's zeroed it'll shoot the sako hammerhead 156gn factory ammo all day into rough 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100yards off the bonnet of my truck as long as I do my bit. I really must build back up a decent load for my 140gn gamekings that I prefer to use for hunting as they used to shoot even better, but for some reason went over pressure all of a sudden.

.. the AI is almost an optimised 6.5-284, you only get 6.5-284 barrel life if you use all the avilable performance all the time.

Exactly the experience of my main gunsmith Lawrie. He has worn out three Swede Ackleys in F-class and basically they last only slightly longer than 6.5-284s run at full throttle. Ballpark is about 900-1000 rounds I think he said.

If I were you Paul, I'd stick with the std chambering. Boring but logical :P

Chris-NZ

M P

I was in a similar position to you a few years ago. I had a Tikka 690 in 6.5x55 and i just fancied a custom barrel fitted and a change of cartridge. No real reason for doing it other than scratching the itch i had for a change.

I looked at 6.5x55 AI and 6.5x284. It was a no brainer for me. The 284 offered no fire forming, brass off the shelf and as Laurie pointed out much cheaper, quality dies.

The 284 works fine in my 55 bolt face and feeds perfectly from the mag.

I had a 24" Krieger tube fitted that gives me about 200fps over the 6.5x55 it was originally in when using 120 grain bullets and N165.

The Deer do not know the difference but i thoroughly enjoyed the project.

Life is too short. if you fancy a "play" you go for it. Always better to regret things you have done than to regret things you wish you had done:) .

Nick.

M P

I was in a similar position to you a few years ago. I had a Tikka 690 in 6.5x55 and i just fancied a custom barrel fitted and a change of cartridge. No real reason for doing it other than scratching the itch i had for a change.

I looked at 6.5x55 AI and 6.5x284. It was a no brainer for me. The 284 offered no fire forming, brass off the shelf and as Laurie pointed out much cheaper, quality dies.

The 284 works fine in my 55 bolt face and feeds perfectly from the mag.

I had a 24" Krieger tube fitted that gives me about 200fps over the 6.5x55 it was originally in when using 120 grain bullets and N165.

The Deer do not know the difference but i thoroughly enjoyed the project.

Life is too short. if you fancy a "play" you go for it. Always better to regret things you have done than to regret things you wish you had done:) .

Nick.

I must admit, it's like you said I just have an itch to scratch really. What's the meat damage like with the 284 in comparison to the 6.5x55? Also what sort of powder weights / bullet weights are you running when you reload? How flat is the round? I know when my 55 is on song with a good load i'll set it 1" high at 100 and then bang on at 200 yards so it's flat enough for me. But would fancy stretching my legs so to speak with the newer round.

Sorry for the questions just trying to gain a little more knowledge to aid me in my decision.

Thanks

Paul

I must admit, it's like you said I just have an itch to scratch really. What's the meat damage like with the 284 in comparison to the 6.5x55? Also what sort of powder weights / bullet weights are you running when you reload? How flat is the round? I know when my 55 is on song with a good load i'll set it 1" high at 100 and then bang on at 200 yards so it's flat enough for me. But would fancy stretching my legs so to speak with the newer round.

Sorry for the questions just trying to gain a little more knowledge to aid me in my decision.

Thanks

Paul

Paul.

You are running a tasty load out of that Swede to only need an inch at 100 to be point of aim at 200.

When i ran a Swede i used 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips at 3000fps, i forget the load, its in my notes somewhere. Only ever shot Roe with it and it performed superbly. 10p size exit with little damage.

My 6.5x284 is putting a 120 Ballistic Tip out at just a shade over 3000fps using 56 grains of N165. This performs well on both Reds and Roe. I suspect i could push the throttle further with this but it is so very accurate i let it be. A 140 at 2900+ should be a hoot..

My next plan for this Rifle is either a 280 AI or .284.

Hope i have got your juices flowing:D

Nick.

Paul,

Went thru' this loop a good few years ago when I wanted to shed a bit of weight of my Sako 75 in 6.5x55 Swede. Came full circle and simply re-barrerled in the original cartridge. For stalking there was no need to improve on the original cartridge. I did though change the stock for a light fill McM version of the original, bed this and add a PES over barrel suppressor and upped the scope. Been shooting well ever since :ph34r:

If you've got money burning hole in you pocket why not take your original rifle on a shooting holiday or go and 'do' all the BSAC running deer shoots :) ?

Brgds Terry

Archived