Sling recommendation for AI stock.

Hi all,

I have a Brno mod 2 .22lr in an AI lookalike stock. It has the typical AI sling attachments. I currently have a Magpul ms2 sling on it but I'm not happy with that, it is not that comfortable and the quick release catch has a nasty habit of releasing when it brushes against something.

Can anyone recommend a good alternative please?

Thanks,

Danny.

• 4 weeks later...

Have seen the above and agree with John; I have also seen a GPMG sling used with good effect in Civilian Service Rifle comps.

Having now got myself an AE MkIII (20" Barrel and pictures to follow!) I'm now not convinced about my above statement regarding a GPMG sling. :blink:

Does anybody have a TAB Elite sling they could measure from end to end (fully extended) for me please?

The maximum length you could extend the sling is 63" and you can obviously reduce it down as required.

And only 51" inch for a Gimpy sling fully extended, the extra 12" will be enough when additional winter layers are required for the coming year, not to mention a far superior hook connection.

Thanks John, much appriecated! I will order a TAB Elite sling using the link on the home page today.

And only 51" inch for a Gimpy sling fully extended, the extra 12" will be enough when additional winter layers are required for the coming year, not to mention a far superior hook connection.

Thanks John, much appriecated! I will order a TAB Elite sling using the link on the home page today.

hi there mate i have one forsale,on here used once from sporting services,just a thought ATB LEE

hi there mate i have one forsale,on here used once from sporting services,just a thought ATB LEE

Thanks Lee but I have already ordered direct from Rifles Only via the "TAB" link on the home page.

I may be wrong but I think the ones from Sporting Services have a plastic "Fastex" release, I'm not that keen on this type of fitting having seen a number of duff ones (albiet on photo gadget bag).

• 3 weeks later...

Well the TAB "Elite" sling turned up today courtesy of Parcel Force. (I had to pay an additional £24 duty inc handling for it)

I suspect the majority of you do not have a constant use for a sling.

Because I shoot mainly service rifle events which can consist of standing, kneeling and squatting etc, than I would rather use one to help take the weight of the AE (yes I'm that old! :o ) whilst stood around waiting to shoot, and also to use the forward portion in the Hawkins position.

I have been trialling an old GPMG sling for cheapness but found that the sling did not slip over the material of a smock easily or quickly enough when going from the "standing alert" to putting the rifle to the shoulder.

The TAB Elite sling material does slip over a smock with ease, the QR release is very good and I cannot foresee it coming undone accidently.

When I first looked at the range of TAB slings I thought there were too many choices, now that I have one I think I would have been happy to have had the middle QR buckle removed and just kept the front one for use in the Hawkins position. However it does give you the opportunity to shoot using the sling as a single point, someing I may investigate for future use.

It certainly feels comfortable slung muzzle down on my back, all in all I would not hesitate to recommend one for service rifle (and any other) use.

I may even treat myself to a belt with the same QR buckle! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the recommendations gentlemen.

Thank you for your business Mick, and we'd be happy to send you a belt with the Cobra buckle, everyone really likes that belt.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "duff ones" Mick but all of our buckles are ITW Nexus Acetal buckles and hold up really well.

Thank you for the recommendations gentlemen.

Thank you for your business Mick, and we'd be happy to send you a belt with the Cobra buckle, everyone really likes that belt.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "duff ones" Mick but all of our buckles are ITW Nexus Acetal buckles and hold up really well.

I need to qualify my statment regarding "duff" buckles, the ones I have seen were supplied to the photographic trade (UK) in the way of "belt systems" i.e. belts with fastex type release's and a series of pouches to fit the belt.

We had a number returned to us as the catch in the buckle didn't always close, the plastic in effect didn't spring back.

To be fair this was a few years back and technology moves on at a pace, I don't think I have ever heard a bad word said about TAB buckles! :)

Archived