How to obtain a 22-250 or 260 for Varminting?

Mike6.5

I'm the same Gandy use 30-06 and am allowed to shoot foxes with it whilst stalking. North Yorks are fantastic mate i agree. The other thing that annoys me and am hearing alot of is the word 'overkill' fook me once you shot it and its dead its dead!? its not gonna suddenly jump up and complain about you shooting it with a larger calibre than perhaps should have done is it!? if you shoot a fox with 30-06 it puts a hole in it just like my 22-250 so i dont get the whole overkil at all, just a poor excuse.

Agree with you there bud dead is dead

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm the same Gandy use 30-06 and am allowed to shoot foxes with it whilst stalking. North Yorks are fantastic mate i agree. The other thing that annoys me and am hearing alot of is the word 'overkill' fook me once you shot it and its dead its dead!? its not gonna suddenly jump up and complain about you shooting it with a larger calibre than perhaps should have done is it!? if you shoot a fox with 30-06 it puts a hole in it just like my 22-250 so i dont get the whole overkil at all, just a poor excuse.

You see this is were theory and practice sepparate. The cops see only muzzle energy and bore dimention and have a prefference for less of both on safety grounds. We see fast, flat and frangible as maginally safer though exept that a safe shot is a safe shot and anyone taking shots with a 55 grn varmint bullet from a 6mm is shooting to close to the edge if they wouldn't do the same with a 100 grn deer bullet from the same gun.

This is why interviews and calibre selection, ground clearance would be better done by people with experiance. The reason that won't happen as they see us all as a bunch of nutters with gun fetishes that would licence 50 bmg for lamping foxes

• 3 months later...

Good day all

I’ve noticed a lot of the guys here are using 223, 22-250, 243 and 6.5-47 to shoot Varmint (Rabbit,Corvids etc) and I'm intrigued how you went about in applying for the permission from your local constabulary?

I use a 22-250AI and 260 Rem for foxes and a 308 and 260 for deer, all 3 calibers are on an open ticket.

To shoot "Vermin" I only have the .22LR.

I would like to use the 22-250ai or 260Rem to shoot Rabbits and crows but I’m not sure how to go about it?

Should I just ask for it and see what they say or not?

Could any of you guys please put me on the right track, I would appreciate any advice on writing up an application.

Thank you for your time

Mike

FAC received today with “Control of vermin” conditions on the 22-250 and 260.

My good reasons were:

• Eliminate carrying 2 rifles for the destruction of vermin/fox.

• The need for long distance shots on vermin over land where rare birds are nesting.

• The dangers of ricochet from the 22LR compared to a ballistic tip type bullet.

FLO had shooting experience and was very helpful.

(22lr for sale ;) )

I am lucky enough to have everything conditioned for vermin.Cals from 22 rim to 300wsm.The reason i gave for the deer calibres was if i was stalking on a keepered est and say a mink was around a pen it seemed stupid that i could not shoot just because i had a deer calibre.After all you must take the same amount of care whether shooting a rat or a deer.The back stop must be same regardless of quarry.As for overkill i don't want to eat it.If you are refused be polite and ask them to put in writing on police headed paper where in the law it says you can't have it.At the end of the day even the police have to stick to the law.And if doesn't say in black and white you can not have it and you have a GOOD REASON they can not really refuse you.Before i apply for anything i carefully think out the reason i will give plod for owning it,Don't even bother ringing BASC there a waste of time.

Cheers sean

I am lucky enough to have everything conditioned for vermin.Cals from 22 rim to 300wsm.The reason i gave for the deer calibres was if i was stalking on a keepered est and say a mink was around a pen it seemed stupid that i could not shoot just because i had a deer calibre.After all you must take the same amount of care whether shooting a rat or a deer.The back stop must be same regardless of quarry.As for overkill i don't want to eat it.If you are refused be polite and ask them to put in writing on police headed paper where in the law it says you can't have it.At the end of the day even the police have to stick to the law.And if doesn't say in black and white you can not have it and you have a GOOD REASON they can not really refuse you.Before i apply for anything i carefully think out the reason i will give plod for owning it,Don't even bother ringing BASC there a waste of time.

Cheers sean

Excellent advice Matchking

All my Rifles cover me for vermin, fox, deer, and humane despatch if required, very sensible, dont understand why other Firearms departments differ, crazy.

Tony.

Archived