Why the difference??

rooster

I have a load consisting of Prvi brass, 43g RL15, 155g Amax and CCI BR2 primers, shoots cloverleafs at 100, but shoots about a 5" group at 200? Same rifle shoots moa groups at 200 with cheap MEN surplus. Its a .308 howa with a 18" barrel, why the difference??

cheers

I have a load consisting of Prvi brass, 43g RL15, 155g Amax and CCI BR2 primers, shoots cloverleafs at 100, but shoots about a 5" group at 200? Same rifle shoots moa groups at 200 with cheap MEN surplus. Its a .308 howa with a 18" barrel, why the difference??

cheers

Because a lot of loads shoot great at 100! Very over rated distance to test any load IMO and proves nothing about the load. After seeing top Bench rest competitors throwing charges without weighing that were visibly different in the cases and then shooting bug holes at 100 it just proved it to be an exersize in futility developing loads over such a range

What speed are they traveling at? According to the Speer manual 13 you are 2 grains below minimum.

Maybe put a bit more coal on the fire. Or try a tested standard load such as 44gr N140 or 44gr Varget

under the 155 A-max.

edi

From my experience privi brass is rubbish! I've never used it myself but I've heard and seen nothing but bad results from it from other people at the range that have used it.

Try weighing the brass and you'll pribably find large variations in brass weight which is probably what is causing the variations. At 100yds velocity variations caused by the brass variations will hardy be noticeable but as you start to increase the range they will be more noticeable.

Rich

Archived