The right choice

Blacknsilver

Some great points again. The .17hmr is new to me. I new it would be loud. That's the first thing. Second is the two brass that have been stuck in due to split cases. I still very much enjoy my Edgun Matador .25 Airgun. It's quiet and whacks a wallop as well. It's shoots at 930ft per second awing is about 49fpe. It's a great squirrel and rabbit rifle. Getting longer range was my reason for going for the HMR istead of the .22lr. In a way it talks the fun out of the stalk by being able to kill at 150yards.

I am still on the look for a nice .22lr.

I have the hw60j in the .17 which after some easy twiddling with the trigger is fantastic. Breaks on second stage really well. Like glass. I am tempted in a .22lr hw60j.

I have a local 100m range where the .22lr would be great for as the HMR can't be used there.

The .223 seem like the right choice. I intend putting in the variation or possibly a one for one depending on the HMR.

Dont sell the HMR, it does everything a 22LR will do and more, regardless of the known ammo issues it is a superb combination and has a real niche in any vermin control arsenal.

Get a 223 you will love it, i have just got one and its a joy to use, even though i have in the past had 222,22-250 and currently have a 22BR it makes a perfect truck/fox gun.

I still have a slot for a 17HMR unfilled, thats purely down to the fact that i have not found one i like yet

As for taking the fun out of shooting quarry at 150yds, a varmint the size of a squirrel at 150 is a challenging shot.

You say that your local 100yd range wont allow 17HMR, i have heard this many times and it is usual down to muzzle velocity constraints but it has also been mentioned that they are not allowed due to their not being any formal discipline for them.

Ian.

I heard the info about the range not allowing hmr due to expanding ammunition. Not sure the reason behind that? I will double check but I have my permission 3 miles away to test and target shoot with it.

Yep. A rabbit at 150 is a good shot.

Fancied a walk out tonigh with Big Ed but the wind has gone mad. Typical that the kids will be in bed early. Nice night for a walk anyway.

Dont sell the HMR, it does everything a 22LR will do and more, regardless of the known ammo issues it is a superb combination and has a real niche in any vermin control arsenal.

Get a 223 you will love it, i have just got one and its a joy to use, even though i have in the past had 222,22-250 and currently have a 22BR it makes a perfect truck/fox gun.

I still have a slot for a 17HMR unfilled, thats purely down to the fact that i have not found one i like yet

As for taking the fun out of shooting quarry at 150yds, a varmint the size of a squirrel at 150 is a challenging shot.

You say that your local 100yd range wont allow 17HMR, i have heard this many times and it is usual down to muzzle velocity constraints but it has also been mentioned that they are not allowed due to their not being any formal discipline for them.

Ian.

The 17HMR cant shoot quietly ie subsonics .

• 2 weeks later...

As with gbal's suggestion above, for your shooting needs, a 223 seems the obvious choice, to me at least. If range is not going to exceed 250-300yds then the 204 Ruger might also be worth a shout.

I'm not sure that I understand previous comments about restricting yourself to a 1/12 twist. A 1/8 is universally a better twist rate for allowing flexibility with loads and ranges and there's no shortage of suitable varmint bullets that will work with a 1 in 8. However, most factory varmint ammo tends to be in the lighter bullets, so if you don't intend on reloading then a 1/12 may be the one to go for. Point is, that if you wish to shoot to longer distances, say 250 to 400 yds, using something like a 60g ballistic tipped expanding round will get you the higher BC's needed to buck the wind better than the lighter, lower BC bullets. I'm unsure is a 1/12 will properly stabilise a 60g bullet...at least those I know using T3s in 1/12 say "not". There are some 55g boat tail hunting bullets with reasonable BCs though.

It's worth remembering that whilst a 1/8 twist will usually handle and stabilise a lighter bullet, a 1/12 will not stabilise heavier bullets. If you want to practice at longer range gong, say, then a 1/8 will allow you to go up to 75/77g with target rounds.

• 3 weeks later...

Id go with 22-250, flat shooting, wide variety of factory guns and amunition, low recoil.

awesome calibre.

Avoid 22.250, great killers agreed but you tend to get muzzle lift which prevents seeing the bullets arrival most of the time and accuracy on the two or three I have seen and shot was not very good at all. A friend here has just acquired a new Sako 85 in 223, that at 500 yards with 55gr Sierra Blitz King factory loads is very very good. It will certainly do all you want except for Roe upwards in England. If you want deer 6BR will if stoked up get over 1700 ft lbs ( as does my PPC) but you would be better served with a 243.

A

Archived