Scope mounting question.

Dac9976

Danny,

unless you mean the ocular or objective end 'bells' are touching, it must be some weird mounting set up for the tube to touch the bases, Personally, I wouldn't have anything touching the bases, but if it isn't putting stress on the tube I can't see how it would affect anything. If it's the ends touching, I'd just give them a few thou clearance.

Richard.

Sounds like you are using a one piece mount and presumably it is the bottom of the central turret bulb that is touching the mount base (I can't see how any other part of a standard main scope tube could be touching the mount base unless there is something really wierd going on). It that's so, I'm afraid you'll need a new one piece mount where the rings are set higher above the base to allow you enough height to clear the bottom of the turret bulb. The bottom of the bulb should definitely not be touching the base.

Ok I'll try and explain it'll be easier than trying to get a pic up on here lol.

Blaser mount with Tier one 34mm Tac rings with 20 moa and a pmll ultra short scope which is fat in the middle ( turret bulb).

The turret bulb is just touching the mount base ever so slightly

Sounds like you have exactly the problem I described above. I use complete one piece mount assemblies from the same manufacturer but presumably there must be higher Tier one rings available for the Blaser which will give you the clearance you need for that S&B ultra short turret bulb - if not, you'll need a new mount set up (or I guess as an extreme solution you could mill out the base a little to give the clearance you need). I would never leave the bulb touching the base as it's impossible to know what stresses that will convey to the bulb/tube with possibility of internal erector assembly damage etc.....I wouldn't consider it for a cheap scope let alone a piece of quality kit like the Ultra Short.

Nail on the head Allswell.....going to have a section milled out as Tier one only do the one height of rings.

Will have to get it painted up afterwards, hopefully won't notice it to much.

Cheers.

Danny.

Okay Danny, Hope it works out for you. Surprising that Tier one don't have some higher rings as presumably there must be others facing the same issue with the S&B Scopes. I recall a few years back facing a similar situation migrating from PMii 3-12x50 to 5-25x56 with the bottom of the 5-25 turret bulb hitting the previous AI one piece mounts...but AI had already produced revised mounts to take the 5-25 so it was a quick fix (albeit more dosh for the new spec mount).

I'm thinking the turret bulb on the ultra short is bigger than that of a standard pmll.

I don't have a standard pmll so I can't compare.

In Tier ones defence, I think the rings are a new development, more options may be available in the future....who knows!

Cheers

Danny.

The PMii 3-12x50 bulb is much shallower at the bottom than the PMii 5-25x56. I don't have an Ultra Short to compare with my 5-25 but looking at the pics of the Ultra Short I'd say the bulbs on that model are probably similar in depth at the bottom to a 5-25. How much approx do you think you'll have to shave off the mount base for it clear the bulb on the Ultra Short?

Archived