hard fox

visiter1

Hi lads , Had a funny one lastnight, Was lying in bed at 12 last night when i got a phone call from my neighbour a fox was trying to get his ducks , I got up and wen straight to an open part off the farm , no sign put on the icotec caller ten mins later and the fox was coming like a train , i was watching him with the drone when a hare jumped infront off him i couldn belive it ,He stalked it for a few seconds then started coming for the caller again den a new drain stopped him in his tracks , changed the call to a low squeak and he jumped the drain stopted at 200 yards and i dropped him , from start to finish took nearly an hour to get him ,

The fox I'm after seems to be coming from some way off, which is why I'm having difficulty in finding it. No matter - time is on my side, not his. I only have to get lucky once - he has to get lucky every time!

As for baiting tips - I consider the first mission is to get the fox to find the bait - the second is to keep him in the area so that you have a chance of connecting with him. To this end I use the smelliest material I can get hold off - on the estate in question this means pheasants that are too far gone for normal use. I break them up into little pieces and then throw them (so there's no human scent) as far as I can in as many different directions as I can. I then scatter lots of little bits about, or squirt the contents of cat food sachets around in order to hold the fox's attention for longer than him just grabbing mouthfuls and running off.

If you're a fan of tinned fish, ie tuna in oil or water save all the liquid contents in a jar placed in the freezer. I use this to hold a Fox once I've done my recce, spray it on a bush / grass or anything near its path.

Maybe another tip to put with your eggs ;-)

I must've spent about 40 hour's after a fox just before shoot season. You try anything in your power to sort these clever one's out. .

Archived