License cost

Akeld

It seems very odd and smacks of hypocrisy, that we as shooters are looking at a fee increase for a FAC or SGC, yet driving license costs are set to be reduced by up to 32%. If the DVLA are that efficient, perhaps Cheif constables should be looking at their format and example to improve the out of date srevice we currently have

Absolutely. I still maintain that the powers that be want to hike the prices to lower the numbers of fac/sgc holders a stealth way so to speak!

If that's the case they have got that severely wrong. They could quadruple the price of an FAC and it wouldn't stop me shooting.

Don't get me wrong, I'm against any increase but £46 for 5 years is nothing in the scheme of shoot cost overall.

£46???? Mine was £50 I'm sure! Lol I just don't see any other reason to raise the cost mate. One force let slip the full cost of administrating fac/sgc's was £57 from memory. So why these proposed £200 fees? What I've already stated is the only reason I can think of!

I don't disagree with your sentiments at all. I fully agree that there is no justification to increase the license fee, but when did our government need a justification to do anything?

My point is that if they are doing it to put shooters off applying for or renewing a license it won't work, just like reducing VED for low emissions cars does not really encourage drivers to buy small.

Personally I think the licensing fee is justified. How many of you run a business? If you do you will realise there is a cost to virtually everything - wages, admin consumables etc.

Besides that most people who object will happily go out for an evening and blow fifty quid and think nothing of it yet the same amount for a five year license is too expensive.

Really?

Personally I think the licensing fee is justified. How many of you run a business? If you do you will realise there is a cost to virtually everything - wages, admin consumables etc.

Besides that most people who object will happily go out for an evening and blow fifty quid and think nothing of it yet the same amount for a five year license is too expensive.

Really?

I think that is a false comparison.

If I spend £50 on an evening out (for example), I'll have had made the choice to spend my money in that way, and I will have enjoyed the benefit.

Any money I have to pay for the grant of FAC or SGC is spent neither by my choice nor on benefitting me alone: but rather it is a mandatory fee, and the law is there for the benefit of the public at large - since the purpose of these certificates is ostensibly to keep the public safe.

I have no prblem with the fee, but it wouldn't take much to improve efficiency and cut down on paperwork.

Have an FAC, allowed to purchase shotguns without SGC

One for one, why can't this be done electronically, one off/one on which can be done by RFD

10 year license to bring it in line with Passport and photo driving license

My point well put .Let them put the fee up and see how many drop out. None.

Historically, I don't think that's what happens when the fee goes up.

It's probably quite right that no dedicated competitive target-shooter would give up their certificate, but it might be that an insular view of this sort is one of the main reasons why lawful users of firearms are such pushover in this country.

Really?

Do you mean the current fee is justified or the proposed hike? As like I've said one force let slip that the fee not that much more than the current fee.

Also why should honest law abiding sportsmen like the shooting comunity pay an inflated price for something under the "full recovery of costs" nonsense banner when scrotes who are a drain on society never have full recovery of costs for their crimes!?

Do you mean the current fee is justified or the proposed hike? As like I've said one force let slip that the fee not that much more than the current fee.

Also why should honest law abiding sportsmen like the shooting comunity pay an inflated price for something under the "full recovery of costs" nonsense banner when scrotes who are a drain on society never have full recovery of costs for their crimes!?

An excellent point, I'll happily pay the full cost of my FAC/SGC when the local crim's pay the full cost of their arrest and conviction. After all both scenarios are for the same purpose of public safety, supposedly

An excellent point, I'll happily pay the full cost of my FAC/SGC when the local crim's pay the full cost of their arrest and conviction. After all both scenarios are for the same purpose of public safety, supposedly

Absolutely and I'd wager ( and I'm no betting man!) that shooters in general contribute an aweful lot to society as were a very diverse comunity, I know business owners, police, teachers, doctors/Surgeons etc who all shoot! Unlike many others who just sponge from society!

If that's the case they have got that severely wrong. They could quadruple the price of an FAC and it wouldn't stop me shooting.

Don't get me wrong, I'm against any increase but £46 for 5 years is nothing in the scheme of shoot cost overall.

It all ads up licence fees club

Yep true mate however I think there are many shooters out there who will not be able to afford the sport soon or will just get fed up and give up.

I agree 100% if I didn't have a local club close to where I live then i wouldn't be able to own the firearms I have now!

I Honestly believe if there were more local clubs popping up around then we would have a lot more new comers to the sport who would be able to get there FAC as they would have good reason to own guns. BUT IM SURE THATS NOT WHAT THE GOVERMENT WANTS TO HAPPEN.

It all ads up licence fees club

Yep true mate however I think there are many shooters out there who will not be able to afford the sport soon or will just get fed up and give up.

I agree 100% if I didn't have a local club close to where I live then i wouldn't be able to own the firearms I have now!

I Honestly believe if there were more local clubs popping up around then we would have a lot more new comers to the sport who would be able to get there FAC as they would have good reason to own guns. BUT IM SURE THATS NOT WHAT THE GOVERMENT WANTS TO HAPPEN.

I have no prblem with the fee, but it wouldn't take much to improve efficiency and cut down on paperwork.

Have an FAC, allowed to purchase shotguns without SGC

One for one, why can't this be done electronically, one off/one on which can be done by RFD

10 year license to bring it in line with Passport and photo driving license

I don't know what the met firearms dept are doing but bloody keep it up what ever you do twice now I have had variations accepted and my new licence returned to me in under a week no phone calls, emails, interviews or anything I just attached a detailed description of what I wanted and why

Well it's interesting to hear e general gripes and whines whilst not really comparing like with like.

An fac/sgc bares no comparison to a driving license. Does the dvla come out and inspect anything? No, you pay for a provisional license, pay for driving lessons, pass a test and then the dvla issue a full license. No comparison at all and hugely more expensive - I know as I have a teenage soon going through it at the moment and bank of dad is footing the bill. Even a straight forward license renewal bares no comparison, when I have to renew my HGV license I have to pay on top of the renewal cost for a medical to say I'm fit to drive. None of that with an fac.....

As for a night out. Simple straight forward comparison. You choose to spend on a night out just like you do for a fac/sgc. If you don't consider it good value don't buy it!

Another comparison. I Choose to run a 4x4. I use it for business, I tow with it and its very good come the bad weather in the Peak District. It costs around £90 to fuel it up from empty. It's well over £400 to licence it for one year. Like i said its my choice to run the vehicle but it makes a £50 five year license look pretty good value to me.

+1 on MJR's general points.

It is very hard to compare like with like (but I'd say security visit was a reasonable requirement every 5 years.)

How about a fishing rod license?

£27 per year.

gbal

Well it's interesting to hear e general gripes and whines whilst not really comparing like with like.

An fac/sgc bares no comparison to a driving license.

It doesn't, but after the initial grant, why should it be treated any differently, if there are no changes to your circumstances (which can easily be checked in this digital age with a few clicks of a mouse) why go through the expensive time consuming rigmarole that we endure every five years. The process could be simplified in so many ways but the current process seems reluctant to change for anyones benefit

MrC, I would agree, that is a simply unacceptable amount of time.

As for license renewals its all a case of compliance and due diligence. I will use myself as an example. Nothing has changed, cabinet in the same place etc, same amount of ammunition to hold/ buy etc. in essence there would be no need to visit my home for inspection. But would the police be demonstrating due diligence by not physically checking ? I do not believe they would. They would not have checked for themselves that I am following the conditions of firearms ownership by storing them securely etc.

I welcome the flo to visit and inspect for themselves. I take the view that once inspected the police know I am still a responsible and legitimate fac/sgc owner.

(tongue in cheek) I think the licence should be free, as a reward to all us upstanding citizens who dare not put a foot out of line in any way legally, in case it puts our firearms at risk of being taken away.

Another thing, the police forces blame the long waits for applications, renewals and variations on cut backs on budgets and staff, but they have suddenly found the resources to do spot checks if they so wish, maybe that is another reason for wanting a hike in fees?

Adrian

Archived