Changing a .243 Howa 1500 barrel

Stirling_Tom

Hi all,

New to the forum and would like to get everyones opinion on my current dilemma.

I am currently looking into having a gunsmith replace my factory barrel, as it is starting to open up on the grouping. Have had the rifle for around 5 years now and it has had at least 3000-4000 rounds through it. Mainly used for Deer culling and Fox control with the odd target shooting session thrown in. Stupidly I left the mod on and it has corroded the crown and there is pitting in the barrel for the last inch or so.

Its going to cost me around £6-750 to have a new begara varmint type barrel fitted, blueprinted, screwcut and cerakoted. Of which I think is extremely reasonable but they think I would not be able to use my current stock ( Bell and Carlson Carbelite which is pillar and full length bedded with Devcon).

As I am new to customising my own guns, would the inletting be quite extensive to accommodate a begara varmint barrel? and would this affect the structure of a stock? The cost of a new stock for my rifle means I would not be able to afford the entire build, as a new stock + mod would push it upward of £1500+

I have thought about ordering the necessary tools i.e. barrel vice, action wrench, no go gauge and go gauge etc to change the barrel myself. But unsure as to how easy it is to be done, watched numerous videos and read directions on it and it seems pretty straight forward.

What are your experiences with changing your own barrel? And does it work out cost effective to purchase the tools i.e. how many barrels am I likely to change in my lifetime? ( Currently 24)

My other thought is to purchase a new .243 or .308 Varmint Remmy 700 SPS or the likes, so in the future when I can afford a gunsmith build I have an action that has more readily accessible parts, stocks etc than the Howa 1500.

The new rifle either way will be used primarily for Deer and Fox control with the view of venturing into long range shooting.

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

Tom

Welcome to the Forum.

Why not forget about the blue printing, get a similar barrel contour and keep the stock.

Maybe also look at a Lothar Walther Barrel. They also have medium weight barrels which often are a good compromise.

Often aftermarket barrels have a slightly larger diameter in the first 3-4", your gunsmith could turn the barrel down to the original barrels diameter so that you don't need to mess too much with the stock.

edi

The standard Bergaras are not a particularly heavy profile so I would have thought it would be easy enough to open up the barrel-channel. If they don't want to do it, it would be easy enough to do it yourself with some sandpaper and a dowel. It's slow work but at least you won't overdo it!

Blueprinting wouldn't be cost effective. Just get it re-barrelled and you do the rest.

The Howa barrels are b******d to remove BTW - don't try it yourself if you haven't got the equipment.

Hi Tom,First off,glad to see that at least one more 243 is still serviceable to 4000 rounds-even if its lost some edge (I can live with +1/4 moa at 150 yards!).

Have you enquired whether the importers/makers can fit a new factory barrel-it will not be the price of a custom barrel,and you have had 4000 satisfactory rounds from the original factory barrel.Nor will the cost of having it done be as much as a custom barrel-here note,the price of a premium barrel won't be that much more than say Bergara-the cost is in the workmanship,which is the same-you could get the barrel profiled to fit your existing stock,of course,as a one for one replacement fit.

There are options-I'd certainly look into a factory barrel,for economy.I did with a Sako 243,but it's still going ......

Gbal

I doubt the importers will be interested - but try. Always difficult to get around the headspace problem unless you are using the Savage barrel-nut system.

Incidentally, I have a brand-new, unfired Howa 243 light profile barrel - if you are interesed PM me but, as I've already said, it may not just screw on - it will need headspacing. It's got a few marks on it but otherwise unfired.

I doubt the importers will be interested - but try. Always difficult to get around the headspace problem unless you are using the Savage barrel-nut system.

Incidentally, I have a brand-new, unfired Howa 243 light profile barrel - if you are interesed PM me but, as I've already said, it may not just screw on - it will need headspacing. It's got a few marks on it but otherwise unfired.

Tried to respond regarding the barrel you have for sale, it says you can't receive any new messages??

Thanks for everyones input, currently still trying to list the pros and cons of acquiring a better standard barrel than purchasing a new factory one. Even thought about changing the gun to .308 for a longer barrel life.

Archived