• 100 - 150 yds
    • 150 - 200 yds
    • 200 - 250 yds
    • 250 - 300 yds
    • 300 - 350 yds
    • 350 - 400 yds
    • Above 400 yds

Guys

this is purely for research purposes for a forthcoming article.

Please, honest answers.

Please, no squabbles over ethics, I am interested in the statistics only.

If everyone who conducts stalking on the site participates I would be grateful.

If you do both woodland and hill stalking please click an answer for both, there are no identities listed for the options.

If you dont want to leave a comment thats fine too.

I normaly shoot deer between 200-250. i would vote but its not letting me. I shoot in a valley so its not realy woodland nor hills. i guess its nearer hills than anything.

Thanks for replies so far.

Col

fill in both polls!

Tim

I hope to do a piece for the BDS journal and anyone eles who is interested about this warm potato.

I recently set up a Hill Stalking Practice day for my local deer society branch, which for reasons I have been advised not to divulge in open forum was cancelled at short notice.

Hi Andy,

interesting topic... Although not half as an experienced stalker as most of the folk on this thread, I have been presented with shots at fallow deer from 50 to 150 yards and took them all. I think I would engage up to 200 or so yards, but the terrain rarely opens up to these ranges. Having shot springbok at 220 yards, with a rifle that was not mine, I feel a lot more confident to engage with deer with a rifle that I know and trust up to that range as well.

I cannot believe the shortsightetness of the 'enlightened ones' who decided what is right and what is not. I guess some of them are also of the school that a 200yds shot at a rabbit is also wrong.... I do hope that an opportunity arises to organise this day anyway, with or without the BDS blessings...

best wishes,

Finman

Are the guys in the HQ arm chair shooters or something? It would be great to shoot everything at 100y but in reality..... comon guys the size of deer allows you to comfortably shoot deer upto 300y or further with the right skills. I could understand it if Ronin was using live deer to practice on but the whole idea of ronins idea is to allow people to pratice shooting at longer distance in a controlled enviroment, which in turn give the shooter either the confidence to shoot live quarry at that distance or to confirm the shooter ability to stick with a 100y shots.

I would be interested in your article when its completed.

Archived