Shotgun markings help req'd

hi folks,

quick query for the gunsmiths with shotgun markings knowledge......

i have a 12g side by side "victoria" (make/brand ) and its spanish i believe very plain but aws new and tight / mint

my query.....if you look at the markings on under side of barrel its says 2 3/4".....ok so 2 3/4" chambers......

but....along form there it is stamped "76"

now im presuming that is 76 mm which i believed to be 3"....

so is the gun 3" chambered or 2 3/4" chambered????

not that i would use 3" it would kick like a mule and its a tight choked gun too

photo of markings here

ps any info on "victoria" as a maker would be much appreciated

shotgunmarkings.jpg

sauer / paul

• 1 month later...

Looks like your 76 may be a red herring. If you look in the diamond on the right hand barrel as you look at it, it has 12/70 inside it designating 2 3/4 proof.

Also 3 1/4 tons is standard proof if it had 3" chamber it would be magnum proofed at 4 tons per square inch.

Cheers

Dave

The gun carries "final" and "definitive" proof marks from birmingham. NP and the crown.

" 2 3/4" is its chamber length, and nitro proofed for 3 1/4 tons per sq/ins....definatly not 3" magnum.

The 12 inside the diamond indicates its a nominal 12 bore. The 12/70 in a diamond indicates bore and chamber length.

Somewhere on there will be a set of numbers. It could well be the "76" or it could have 18.2 or 18.4 etc somewhere. These are the barrel diameters at 9" inside the breech. It is a starting measurement for a new barrel, and when it has got 0.010" bigger, the gun is no longer "in proof".A datum point basically.

Archived